Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
children dentists....
October 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
hey. we have been dealing with cavities for my kids. I dont know what the deal is. we brush teeth we don have candy in our house....juice is a very rare thing too! I remember going to the dentist and them just cleaning and showing me how to brush. Never did we deal with cavities. Now my 6 yr old is going in for his 3rd cavitiy and my 4 yr old for his third....actually one of his teeth had to be pulled! Also they use the nitrous (sp?) gas because my kids freak out. My friend has a theory that its a money scam. I like our dentist.....he is nice and was refered my our dentist who I trust. But do u think maybe the are trained differently....maybe now they decide to work on baby teeth and before they did not? What r ur opinions?

Replies

• joyful_mama
    October 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

This is a frustration for me as well. My eldest is the only one who never has cavaties. My 11 yo literally had teeth falling apart in his mouth from decay. My 4yo has three caps because of decay on her front teeth. I was absolutely mortified when I realized. And the dentist kept saying stuff like, "don't let her sleep with a bottle. No juice or candy." I told he we don't do bottles and we never have juice and candy is rare. Dh is bad about occasionally letting them have soda, but that isn't even every week, let alone every day.

I never got cavaties as a kid, never. I never brushed either and didn't start seeing a dentist until I was 16. I just don't understand it.

ETA: I don't usually ever talk about it with people because I am embarrassed, afraid people will think I am a terrible mom for not taking better care of my kids' teeth. I do my best, really.

Quoting Precious333:

hey. we have been dealing with cavities for my kids. I dont know what the deal is. we brush teeth we don have candy in our house....juice is a very rare thing too! I remember going to the dentist and them just cleaning and showing me how to brush. Never did we deal with cavities. Now my 6 yr old is going in for his 3rd cavitiy and my 4 yr old for his third....actually one of his teeth had to be pulled! Also they use the nitrous (sp?) gas because my kids freak out. My friend has a theory that its a money scam. I like our dentist.....he is nice and was refered my our dentist who I trust. But do u think maybe the are trained differently....maybe now they decide to work on baby teeth and before they did not? What r ur opinions?

• Precious333
    October 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    I know wha you mean. I do too! last night we went to my inlaws....we never have candy so I let her give some stuff on occasion. Well she gave my two year old a fruit roll up! Well hefell asleep on the way home and I was so afriad that I brushed his teeth while he was asleep! I couldnt get them all though. Thankfully at the dentists offie i never was put down for the kids cavities...but it still embarasses me and now im so worried about it that I almost am so close to saying no sweets at all every again! I am considering cuttng out juice and chewy candies completely....not just at home....but I dont know yet. And those nights when kids have fallen asleep before brushing....now I start to feel aweful!

Quoting joyful_mama:

This is a frustration for me as well. My eldest is the only one who never has cavaties. My 11 yo literally had teeth falling apart in his mouth from decay. My 4yo has three caps because of decay on her front teeth. I was absolutely mortified when I realized. And the dentist kept saying stuff like, "don't let her sleep with a bottle. No juice or candy." I told he we don't do bottles and we never have juice and candy is rare. Dh is bad about occasionally letting them have soda, but that isn't even every week, let alone every day.

I never got cavaties as a kid, never. I never brushed either and didn't start seeing a dentist until I was 16. I just don't understand it.

ETA: I don't usually ever talk about it with people because I am embarrassed, afraid people will think I am a terrible mom for not taking better care of my kids' teeth. I do my best, really.

Quoting Precious333:

• joyful_mama
    October 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

It is terrible to feel so paranoid, but I do too. I just keep thinking there is something else going on here that I am not seeing for their teeth to be so bad.

Quoting Precious333:

I know wha you mean. I do too! last night we went to my inlaws....we never have candy so I let her give some stuff on occasion. Well she gave my two year old a fruit roll up! Well hefell asleep on the way home and I was so afriad that I brushed his teeth while he was asleep! I couldnt get them all though. Thankfully at the dentists offie i never was put down for the kids cavities...but it still embarasses me and now im so worried about it that I almost am so close to saying no sweets at all every again! I am considering cuttng out juice and chewy candies completely....not just at home....but I dont know yet. And those nights when kids have fallen asleep before brushing....now I start to feel aweful!

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting Precious333:

• littlelambe2
    October 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM

We recently changed dentists and took dd for the first time. She did great. With my husband, though, they said this teeth looked great (last c/u was a year ago). Our past dentist was saying that dh needed scaling and planing 3 times a year (our insurance only covered twice) and refused to do just a regular cleaning when we told them that we would only do it twice, as our insurance only covered it twice. And now this dentist didn't even mention periodontal disease?? Our new dentist noticed a small crack in dh's tooth, asked him if it was bugging him, and then said that normally they won't do any work unless it was a problem. And seeing as dh didn't notice it at all (wasn't sensitive to sugar, hot, cold, etc, didn't have aches) that it would be better to leave it for now. Our old dentist was also trying to tell me that I needed all four of my wisdom teeth out. Right now. Even though they weren't causing any problems, they were healthy, I could brush behind them, and they weren't crowding my other teeth.

I definitely think some dentists are at it for the money. Do the teeth with cavities bug your kids?? If the cavities are bad, the kids will be complaining. It is possible that your dentist just likes to do work and likes the money aspect of it. Any chance of a second opinion?

• piwife
    by piwife
    October 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    My dd had 4 cavities... it was bad and she had to get 3 pulp extractions and fillings. She was given laughing gas and other meds. Luckuly izzy doesn't freak out at the dentist
  • peaches_04
    October 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    I was thinking about this too and wondering if it wasnt diet related
  • swmmra
    by swmmra
    October 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Probably going to get bashed for this, but do you live in an area that floridates their water. I grew up in an area that does, and then moved to another area as an adult and see many more kids in this area with caps and rotten teeth. I have to wonder if that makes a difference as well. 

After eating, rinse your mouth with water. That helps to get food particals off teeth. 

• tabi_cat1023
    October 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I go to a dentist through the health department, and most of the people who go there have medicaid you would THINK he would be trying to milk the system but nope only times there are cavities are when the xray actually shows it and he did no xrays on my 2 and 5 year old because he could not visibly see any cavities so he just cleaned them and used sealant.

There are SOME dentists that say kids need work done when they dont..if you are worried about that take them for a second opinion.

• jconney80
    October 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    I think I would get another opinion. I didn't have a single cavity until this year at 31 years old. My oldest has had two cavities but she also refuses to brush her teeth good.
  • Precious333
    October 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    Te reason we went back was because my son was in pain. That tooth ended up being pulled....so I know there was a problem with that...but with all this other stuff I dont know. I asked about natural ways of healing and trying that and he was open to waiting 6 months on some cavities but not all.

Quoting littlelambe2:

We recently changed dentists and took dd for the first time. She did great. With my husband, though, they said this teeth looked great (last c/u was a year ago). Our past dentist was saying that dh needed scaling and planing 3 times a year (our insurance only covered twice) and refused to do just a regular cleaning when we told them that we would only do it twice, as our insurance only covered it twice. And now this dentist didn't even mention periodontal disease?? Our new dentist noticed a small crack in dh's tooth, asked him if it was bugging him, and then said that normally they won't do any work unless it was a problem. And seeing as dh didn't notice it at all (wasn't sensitive to sugar, hot, cold, etc, didn't have aches) that it would be better to leave it for now. Our old dentist was also trying to tell me that I needed all four of my wisdom teeth out. Right now. Even though they weren't causing any problems, they were healthy, I could brush behind them, and they weren't crowding my other teeth.

I definitely think some dentists are at it for the money. Do the teeth with cavities bug your kids?? If the cavities are bad, the kids will be complaining. It is possible that your dentist just likes to do work and likes the money aspect of it. Any chance of a second opinion?

Natural Birth & Parenting