Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
first time I saw pregnant lady smoking!
October 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I never see this, or maybe not ever noticed. Yesterday my husbadn and I were driving and noticed this pregnant women with a man. I saw her and she was well into her pregnancy, and she looked unhealthy to me. I was wondering if maybe she was homeless or something. Then I saw her just plainly pull our a cigarette and start smoking. It makes me sick to my stomach. I understand that smoking is a habit hard to quit, my DH smokes at work., but I just couldn't bleieve someone shamelessly smoking like that in public. It felt to me like she didn't even care. So sad :(

Replies

• moroccanmommy
    October 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Very sad. Poor baby.
    Babies are higher risk of dying with smoking parents
  • Mommy_Natural
    October 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

• Mrs.Salz
    October 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I always feel really sad when I see that. I've read that oxygen is cut off to the baby's brain while mom is smoking.

• hapababies
    October 11, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    I have seen it more times than I can count and it angers me everytime. I get upset because there are so many people who want to get pregnant and go through hell and back to have a baby. I understand it's a hard habit to break, but it's still difficult to see.
  • Fellie
    by Fellie
    October 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I see it all the time. It makes me very sad.

• NightSky1701
    October 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Smoking is really bad for children. I was a smoker for fifteen years so I can attest, it is VERY hard to quit. But, I quit when I got pregnant with my first child. I didnt smoke for several years then picked it back up (stupid) I quit again when I got preganant with my son. So I know how hard it is but  Ive done it twice so I also know it can be done.  If a woman really wants to she'll find a way to quit and healthy babies are SO WORTH IT!!! I really hate seeing pregnant women smoke too and I see it all the time. Ugh. I agree you would at least think they would be ashamed and try to hide it.

• schultzal
    October 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

:( That's sad.

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

• crazycurls920
    October 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Are we the same person?????
    You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

• catholicmamamia
    October 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It breaks my heart to see an expectant mother smoking. Thankfully, I do not see it often. 

• Mommy_Natural
    October 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Crazy! She was due after me and had her baby 3 days after mine. Hers was early too. =\

Quoting crazycurls920:

Are we the same person?????
    You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN