Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
first time I saw pregnant lady smoking!
October 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I never see this, or maybe not ever noticed. Yesterday my husbadn and I were driving and noticed this pregnant women with a man. I saw her and she was well into her pregnancy, and she looked unhealthy to me. I was wondering if maybe she was homeless or something. Then I saw her just plainly pull our a cigarette and start smoking. It makes me sick to my stomach. I understand that smoking is a habit hard to quit, my DH smokes at work., but I just couldn't bleieve someone shamelessly smoking like that in public. It felt to me like she didn't even care. So sad :(

Replies

• outstandingLove
    October 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Quoting schultzal:

I wonder that, myself. 

Quoting Precious333:

wow! Is it legal for a bartender to serve a pregnant women shots like that? so sad! and sick :(

Quoting schultzal:

:( That's sad.

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

It is legal, i believe. But the bartender can also legally refuse.

• justone_jen
    October 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    It's illegal not to.

ETA, I may be wrong. I know I've seen suits for discrimination, but refusing to serve is probably not necessarily illegal, though it could come with a discrimination claim.

Quoting schultzal:

I wonder that, myself. 

Quoting Precious333:

wow! Is it legal for a bartender to serve a pregnant women shots like that? so sad! and sick :(

Quoting schultzal:

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

• TTC2Long
    October 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    It's very sad for the baby and, I'll admit, I judge when I see that. It's absolutely one of the few things I will unashamedly judge for.
  • peaches_04
    October 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    Its illegal to refuse to sale unfortunately

My mother lost her job as a bartender for refusing to serve a pregnant woman

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting schultzal:

• EthansMomma2010
    October 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM
    IMO it has more to do with the toxins in American cigarettes than actual tobacco. European women smoke and drink through their pregnancies without incident.
  • melindabelcher
    October 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    I find it very irresponsible! I feel bad for the baby :(
  • maddiesmommy5
    October 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

It makes me very sad. There was a girl I knew who was pregnant and she smoked.When I asked her why and did she know how bad it was for baby(I don't usually get involved like this)she said her family told her it would keep the baby smaller because I guess they have a history of large babies?smh. Well, then I just had to inform her all the reasons why it was bad as she honestly did not know. When i saw her about a month later she told me she thought about what i had told her and she quite her dd is 3 and healthy and mama still doesn't smoke!:) 

• LuvsHopesDreams
    October 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I've always hated to see pregnant women smoking, and vowed that i would never smoke while I was expecting.  When I found out I was pregnant it did take me two weeks to totally quit, and I admit that there were a few times when I really got stressed out that I smoked maybe half a cigarette, and every time when I finished one I felt sooo guilty.  But I managed to quit for the vast majority of the time when I was carrying my son.  I still hate to see pregnant women smoking, apparently with no shame at all.  It's not easy to quit, but every woman should at least try to do it--your baby's health is at stake.

• MaryJarrett
    October 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    I don't really mind being I don't know their story. I do feel bad for them and the baby. It's actually more dangerous to suddenly quit and go through withdrawals than to slowly cut back which means smoking farther into the pregnancy. A pack a day smoker would only likely be 1-4 cigarettes a day in the 3rd trimester. Now chain smoking I would probably judge but a random stranger, eh, not so much. Drugs suck.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts