Natural Birth & Parenting

louzannalady
Questions about essential oils!
August 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Help! I am about to embark on making my own cleaning stuffs (I already use vinegar or baking soda straight up to clean), but would like to make them smell nice and have them in containers easier to use. Where do I go to buy essential oils? How much do I need to make various cleaners? Any good "recipes" for me? I hear Lavendar is popular, but I prefer warmer smells, like Gardenias and Vanilla and Honeysuckle. How likely am I to find essential oils that have those scents? Do they MAKE those? And for a reasonable price?! (I am so embarrassed and feel like such a newb, that I have held off asking this for a few weeks, now!)

Replies

• Autumn355
    August 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Try a whole foods or natural store. Essential oils are expensive or can be but a little goes along way. lavender is a good safe all purpose and relatively cheap one you can start with and it smells good and will be easy to find.
  • schultzal
    August 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Whole foods or natural food stores are a good place to buy locally. There are some good websites that might save you some $$$. Vanilla essential oil is very expensive... I paid nearly $50 for mine (a 10 mL bottle). :(

Sandalwood is a nice, warm smell that isn't too expensive. Patchouli & orange is another combination that I really like, but I know not everyone likes patchouli.

I like tea tree oil in my cleaning mixture; gives the cleaner some extra antiseptic properties. Orange oil is another good option for cleaners, especially in the kitchen. :)

• corinthians81
    August 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

bump I'm curious too(:

• jellyphish
    August 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    I bet the sandalwood you're buying is diluted, because it's crazy expensive!
    When you buy from places like wf, the expensive oils (sandalwood, Chamomile, jasmine, etc) tend to be diluted in jojoba oil to about 5%. You just need to watch for that if you're after pure EOs.

Quoting schultzal:

Whole foods or natural food stores are a good place to buy locally. There are some good websites that might save you some $$$. Vanilla essential oil is very expensive... I paid nearly $50 for mine (a 10 mL bottle). :(

Sandalwood is a nice, warm smell that isn't too expensive. Patchouli & orange is another combination that I really like, but I know not everyone likes patchouli.

I like tea tree oil in my cleaning mixture; gives the cleaner some extra antiseptic properties. Orange oil is another good option for cleaners, especially in the kitchen. :)

• schultzal
    August 25, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I don't buy from any of those places. I don't live in the US.

Quoting jellyphish:

When you buy from places like wf, the expensive oils (sandalwood, Chamomile, jasmine, etc) tend to be diluted in jojoba oil to about 5%. You just need to watch for that if you're after pure EOs.

Quoting schultzal:

• LondonsMomma84
    August 25, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Mountainroseherbs.com is a great place to buy EOs from. Eden's Organic on Amazon is great quality too.
  • hapababies
    August 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Is there something on the label that will indicate that it's been diluted?

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting schultzal:

• peaches_04
    August 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    I like doterra oils :)
  • schultzal
    August 25, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Yes, all of my diluted oils say what % they are and what the carrier oil is. For instance, I have 20% tea tree oil in safflower oil, for topical use. 

Quoting hapababies:

Is there something on the label that will indicate that it's been diluted?

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting schultzal:

• JoJoBean8
    August 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    I have heard mountainroseherbs is a good site.

Natural Birth & Parenting