Natural Birth & Parenting

tabi_cat1023
Natural birth friend hospitals/OBs
April 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Please tell is where (city/state), what hospital or what OB(or both), and what the positives are about these places.(no pressure, baby friendly status, no formula giftbags, no IV required, water birth allowed, etc etc) This post will be edited as replies are added.

Arizona

Boojum ob/gyn-Chandler, AZ

drkells.com-Chandler, AZ

Chandler Regional-Chandler, AZ

Mercy Gilbert hospital- Chandler- AZ

California

Kaiser-Roseville, Antioch, and Walnut Creek, CA

Illinois

Rush Copley Medical Center-Aurora, IL

Louisiana

Willis-Knighton South, Shreveport, Louisiana

Massachusetts

Cambridge hospital-Cambridge, MA

Minnesota

St. Joseph's Hospital-St.Paul, Minnesota

Nebraska

niversity of Nebraska medical center-Omaha, Nebraska

New Hampshire

Caring Partners (Dr. Mueller)-Rochester NH

Frisbie Memorial Hospital-Rochester NH

Nevada

Dr. Steven Harter (delivers at Summerlin and Centennial Hills hospitals) Reno-Nevada

Mike O'Callaghan hospital on Nellis AFB- Las Vegas, NV

Texas

Sid Peterson Regional Medical Center-Kerrville, TX

Washington

St. Joseph's Hospital-Bellingham, Washinton

Dr. Frederick J. Gunningham- Bellingham, Washington

Replies

• cc1672
    by cc1672
    June 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

A Place for Women (Dr. Van Scriver) - Jacksonville, FL

• Melame68
    June 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    I found the hospital I had my first 2 at to be very natural friendly. Labor in water. Allow midwives. No ivs required. I went in. Said I was going natural and it was never questioned again! They have birthing bars and private rooms. No nursery. Bfing is pushed. They weren't as good as my out of hospital birth. Granted NONE of this stuff I even brought up prior so many they would have done it if I had asked. They still cut the cord early..assumed I wanted the eye goop and vit k shot...etc. but my midwife (who was the on call mw) even straight up told me during transition that I wasn't getting drugs, I was having this baby naturally! She had me push when I felt like it in any position I wanted. She never pushed anything. She was thourogh in explaining procedures and rolled her eyes when she explain hospital policy. She was awesome.

I can't remember the spelling. She's a cnm at boise ob/gyn. Georgiana anslie...something like that. I delivered at st alphonsus regional medical center in boise idaho
  • Melame68
    June 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    http://saintalphonsus.netreturns.biz/Providers/Detail.aspx?ProviderId=6df53146-a64d-432c-a7ec-0aea0edecb7f

Quoting Melame68:

I found the hospital I had my first 2 at to be very natural friendly. Labor in water. Allow midwives. No ivs required. I went in. Said I was going natural and it was never questioned again! They have birthing bars and private rooms. No nursery. Bfing is pushed. They weren't as good as my out of hospital birth. Granted NONE of this stuff I even brought up prior so many they would have done it if I had asked. They still cut the cord early..assumed I wanted the eye goop and vit k shot...etc. but my midwife (who was the on call mw) even straight up told me during transition that I wasn't getting drugs, I was having this baby naturally! She had me push when I felt like it in any position I wanted. She never pushed anything. She was thourogh in explaining procedures and rolled her eyes when she explain hospital policy. She was awesome.

I can't remember the spelling. She's a cnm at boise ob/gyn. Georgiana anslie...something like that. I delivered at st alphonsus regional medical center in boise idaho
  • Klbushman
    June 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    Kansas City MO
    North Kansas City Hospital
    Some good points and bad points- they do require an IVunfortunately, and no water birth
    BUT baby rooms with you 24/7 except for a bath and weighing each night for maybe 30 mins. Will not offer formula samples if you are breast feeding and will not supplement with formula either, because you have baby all the time! Nurses are very supportive a out no pain meds and are very knowledgeable about alternative pain relief options i.e. birthing ball, walking, position changes.
    So some good, some bad :)
    Also have 24 hour lactation support for FREE!!!!
  • peaches_04
    June 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Dr jensen at the princeton hospital Is really natural friendly!
    Thats my back up if I have to transfer

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

St. Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul Minnesota currently has an 11% c-section rate. It has dropped a few points each year for the last few years.  They allow waterbirths if you need certain criteria but have big tubs and showers in each room for laboring if you don't qualify for a waterbirth.

I've only seen the CNMs there so I can't recommend any particular OBs.

The two peds we saw were pushy, but the nurses and CNMs during labor were very nice (some more than others, like any hospital). Aside from a VE and 15 mins of monitoring on entry, I was able to avoid further VEs, monitoring, etc. without issue. No IV was required. They have birthing stools, birthing balls, etc. Declining Vit K, eye drops, and Hep B wasn't an issue whatsoever.

The only negative I can think of is that they don't have any IBCLCs on staff and no one offered to have an LC come to our room.

• mjrex87
    by mjrex87
    July 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I gave birth at The Women & Children's Hospital at Centennial in Nashville, TN. Dr. John Wilters was my OB. He is natural-friendly; he is my midwife's doctor of consult. My main nurse hadn't had much experience with natural birth, but she was very interested and very supportive. Since I was planning a home birth, I was afraid of going to the hospital, but if I had to have another hospital birth, I would choose Centennial again.

The nurses respected my birth plan and never once mentioned pain medication. Even though I was "high risk" and had to be on monitors, they made no fuss about me taking them off to use the toilet every hour for about 5 minutes at a time. They helped me maneuver the wires and everything so I could sit on the ball, get up, lean on the bed, squat, etc. My requests such as delayed cord clamping, no shots or eye goop, and no separation were all respected. They understand the importance of skin-to-skin, and the only time she left my room was for her discharge check-up and DH and I walked with her to the nursery for that.

I have heard good things about Vanderbilt University Medical Center, also in Nashville. They have midwives on staff, so if I had not planned a home birth with my CPM, I probably would have gone to Vanderbilt. 

• MissSarah04
    July 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Oregon. Willamette Falls Medical Center is the hospital I gave birth at and Women's Health Center of Oregon CNMs were my providers. No water birth but everything else was wonderful. Nobody tried to break my water, I was out of bed most if the time. The nurses allowed me to be monitored periodically while standing up and swaying. They never asked if I wanted meds and left it up to.me whether I wanted a saline lock IV just in case.
  • bellamalach
    July 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Colordo - Denver Health Midwives - Lowest CSection rate in Metro Denver (18%) and they support VBAC!

• ElleLuvsOrchids
    August 9, 2012 at 6:09 AM

VCU Medical Center - Richmond, Virginia

http://www.obgyn.vcu.edu/directory/midwifes/index.html

http://www.obgyn.vcu.edu/directory/faculty/detail.html?ID=125

• NightSky1701
    August 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I gave birth to my son on Halloween night 2011 at Kingman Regional Medical Center in Kingman AZ. Not the greatest, newest facility out there but the staff was super cooperative about our wishes for a natural birth. The only concession I had to make was letting them do a hep-lock in place of an IV. When my son was born they put him on my chest and he STAYED there until I asked nurse to weigh him 45 minutes later. I got to clean him off myself and nurse him and everything. It was wonderful. My doctor was Dr. Lemanski at Cerbat Medical Center. He was GREAT!!

Natural Birth & Parenting