Natural Birth & Parenting

doulala
When is it Time to go in?
by doulala
February 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM

How do you decide when it's Time to go to the hospital / birth center?   Or for the midwife to come over?

If you've birthed before, what did you & when do for past deliveries?

Replies

• DixieFlower
    February 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

With my first I went in about 4 hrs after my water broke. I wasn't really sure about how fast/ slow things would go and with my living situation I did what I felt was appropriate. With my most recent birth I went in when contractions were 4 min apart, 1 min in duration for 2 hrs. I really would have stayed home longer but one of the ladies I assist has very bad anxiety problems. As my labor progressed she started getting closer to an anxiety attack. Since that occured at almost 9pm at night I decided to go ahead to the hospital. If it would have been earlier in the day I would have gone to the park and walked for a bit longer.

• RugersMommy06
    February 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM

With both my contractions were back to back when we left the house. The 1st time, I didn't think it would happen so quickly and was in denial that it was real labor-baby born an hour later. With my 2nd born in June, I assumed it would happen quickly & it did. I had 4 strong contractions (holding onto the sink, rocking & breathing) told my husband to call his father & have him get over asap! With the horrible storms we'd had, it took them longer than it should have. Blew away pushing in the car for the last 5 miles-had baby 12 minutes after arriving at the hospital.

• Roadfamily6now
    February 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM

wow!

So, for me, I decided it was "Labor" after I had been having contractions for 1 hour. At that point, we got the family awake (I have consistant early morning labors) and got everyone dressed and ready. That usually takes another 2 hours.... then we go in. Now, I have been blessed with fast labors and they keep getting shorter.

So, based on my past labor history, baby #6 woke me up at 1am and I proceeded to do my 1 hour alone time ritual. Only baby had other plans and I was pushing 45 minutes later. That was my UBAC which was the shower baby that I wrote about in the "Homebirth is Messy" thread. :)

So, when WOULD I head in to the hospital or call a midwife next time?  I'd really rather stay at home but I also might only be albe to get midwives that are 45 minutes away so I'm going to scoot my butt out the door ASAP! LOL.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts