Natural Birth & Parenting

doulala
When is it Time to go in?
by doulala
February 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM

How do you decide when it's Time to go to the hospital / birth center?   Or for the midwife to come over?

If you've birthed before, what did you & when do for past deliveries?

Replies

• DixieFlower
    February 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

With my first I went in about 4 hrs after my water broke. I wasn't really sure about how fast/ slow things would go and with my living situation I did what I felt was appropriate. With my most recent birth I went in when contractions were 4 min apart, 1 min in duration for 2 hrs. I really would have stayed home longer but one of the ladies I assist has very bad anxiety problems. As my labor progressed she started getting closer to an anxiety attack. Since that occured at almost 9pm at night I decided to go ahead to the hospital. If it would have been earlier in the day I would have gone to the park and walked for a bit longer.

• RugersMommy06
    February 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM

With both my contractions were back to back when we left the house. The 1st time, I didn't think it would happen so quickly and was in denial that it was real labor-baby born an hour later. With my 2nd born in June, I assumed it would happen quickly & it did. I had 4 strong contractions (holding onto the sink, rocking & breathing) told my husband to call his father & have him get over asap! With the horrible storms we'd had, it took them longer than it should have. Blew away pushing in the car for the last 5 miles-had baby 12 minutes after arriving at the hospital.

• Roadfamily6now
    February 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM

wow!

So, for me, I decided it was "Labor" after I had been having contractions for 1 hour. At that point, we got the family awake (I have consistant early morning labors) and got everyone dressed and ready. That usually takes another 2 hours.... then we go in. Now, I have been blessed with fast labors and they keep getting shorter.

So, based on my past labor history, baby #6 woke me up at 1am and I proceeded to do my 1 hour alone time ritual. Only baby had other plans and I was pushing 45 minutes later. That was my UBAC which was the shower baby that I wrote about in the "Homebirth is Messy" thread. :)

So, when WOULD I head in to the hospital or call a midwife next time?  I'd really rather stay at home but I also might only be albe to get midwives that are 45 minutes away so I'm going to scoot my butt out the door ASAP! LOL.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN