Natural Birth & Parenting

Pandapanda
Co-sleeping, rooming in, or a nursery?
December 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

We have our son room in with us, and I really love having him so close. However.. I prefer for him to sleep with us. He'll normally lay on his belly on me, or on his side with his back against me. Anyway, my DH thinks he'll be sleeping with us for the rest of our lives if I keep doing this. Yuck!

So, do you co sleep? If not, where does baby go to?

Replies

• WholeFoodsMom
    December 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I co-slept some with my daughter during her first two-three months. I liked it, but always wondered if my husband would roll over on her. For the most part, she slept in the bassinet next to or at the bottom of the bed. I'll admit, I also wondered the same thing your husband does... I was sooo worried that my DH and I would never have any alone time if I kept her in our bed for too long!

• Roadfamily6now
    December 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM

My first 2 kids were like most american families, they had their own room with their own beds.

With my second, we did things a little differently. Besides breastfeeding for hte first time and having 5 people living in a 5th wheel trailer, we decided to co-sleep. It worked out beautifully and so we co-slept with our 4th child as well.

My son moved out into his own bed at about age 2 1/2, just before his sister arrived. However, he often found his way back in. :)

My DD co-slept until she was 5+.

• mami2cervantes
    December 1, 2010 at 3:27 PM

both my kids had their crib in my room... they usually started out the night in their own crib but when they'd wake up they'd come into our bed, and i'd change em and breastfeed or cuddle til they went back to sleep and usually they'd just stay there then, no sense in getting them up and moving them back... i didnt (personally) like the idea of having them in the other room, not sure why it just didnt feel right- esp with my oldest, i was a young mother and i had a horrible fear that sids would take him at night :( and i felt safer having him closer... both my kids had their own rooms when they were old enough, 1-2 yrs old, and now they each usually start the night off in their own beds but if they wake up they can always crawl into bed with mami :-)
    my 3 yr old daughter sometimes starts off the night in my room on the nights she cant sleep tho... and according to my husband my 7 yr old son should not be crawling into bed with us now but mama doesnt think so! <3 i'm alittle softer than he is

it is going to be the same with this baby, we aer going to set up her crib in our room and when shes old enough she'll move into her own room

• truealaskanmom
    December 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM

We do both, he is a tummy sleeper now and our bed is too soft for him to do that safely, so he sleeps right next to me in his bassinet, and in the morning he will co-sleep and sometimes he will through the night too, but he is sleeping better on his own unfortunately.  I move a lot in my sleep is likely why.  He has a room of his own it is not ready for him yet it is still pink and has nothing in it for him lol.  He won't go there until he a year old or so. 

• Fightclmembr
    December 1, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    My first co-slept until he was about two...then was in my room, in his own bed until a few months ago, he's three years, eight months I think
  • catholicmamamia
    December 2, 2010 at 12:50 AM

We have always had a Family Bed. We co-sleep and love it! 

• LoneStarMommaD
    December 2, 2010 at 1:04 AM

I would like to co-sleep but I think that my DH has an issue with it. He doesn feel safe doing it. So we are going to have our DS in the same room as us. I want him to as close to the bed as I can get him. :-)

• Sunshine_246
    December 2, 2010 at 1:58 AM
    My dd had a bed in our room, but usually ended up in or bed. After she turned 1 we moved her to her room but she still often came to or bed later. Now though my ds is 7 weeks and I tried co sleeping, but I'm am too afraid. I don't know what's different this time but I can't comfortably and safely have him in my bed yet. Has anyone had this? He's next to me in the bassinet and I am not even trying now because I'm sick, but I hope it get's better because I love being close like that.
    On a different note for those co sleeping for years: how do you and your dh have sex? When do you get alone time if you are going to bed with the kids after they are old enough to be aware of it all?
  • Missbehaves
    December 2, 2010 at 2:07 AM

We co-sleep.  Hubby and I both coslept with our parents so it seems natural to us.  I think I'm going to have to add a side car for the one that's coming though.  There's not much room left.

Uh, as far as the sex question there are plenty of places to do it besides the bed! 

• jubes
    by jubes
    December 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM
    My dd co-slept for years and years (I think until she was 5) I was a single mom so I had sex when she was with her dad, or not at my home. My husband and I co-sleep with our 2.5yr old ds. We both hate AND love it. We hate that he moves so much but we love being close to him. We hardly have sex, waking dh up so we can go upstairs and have sex on the couch, or floor just sucks. When we bring the baby home, we already know we're using a bassinet.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts