Natural Birth & Parenting

hillmom
Outline (rough) for my early childbirth education class. Thoughts, suggestion, and comments welcome.
by hillmom
November 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I hope to start teaching an early (TTC-20 weeks) childbirth education class soon. I think I found a spot to hold the classes (along with free cloth diapering and baby wearing classes). This part, getting the curriculum straight is the hardest part. What do you think of my outline? 

Class 1: Healthy Mommy Healthy Baby

I.   Nutrition

II.  Exercise

Class 2: My Provider, My Birth

I.  Dream Birth

II. Provide to Support my Birth Choices

Class 3: Anatomy and Physiology of Birth

Class 4: Birth Interventions- Helpful or Harmful

Class 5: Reassessing My Provider, My Birth

Class 6: Postpartum and Newborn Care

I.  Breastfeeding

II. Cord Care

III.Perineum Care

IV.Rest, Rest, Rest

Note: The main goal is to provided families with information and key them into a provider that will respect their birth. 

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    November 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM

oooh, I am so excited for you!! What about coping strategies?  Will that be covered in Class 2?

Maybe you can add more in Class 1--  like make a big list of everyone's questions.   Write them "on the board" and then you can go home and find where to include those questions directly, in upcoming classes.     Might be nice~~

• truealaskanmom
    November 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I like it a lot

• hillmom
    by hillmom
    November 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I will focus on coping strategies in class 3, how we can help birth and keeping our mind out of that way. What a great suggestion to class 1! Thanks =-)

• Roadfamily6now
    November 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I love the fact you are focusing on EARLY education! This is essential! Great job and Good Luck!

• AntroNet
    November 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I love the fact you are focusing on EARLY education! This is essential! Great job and Good Luck!

I'm on my 4th baby, but I'd seriously take your class because of what you are offering.  I agree...early care is ESSENTIAL!  I hope you have great success!

• Pandapanda
    November 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Sounds great to me!

• hillmom
    by hillmom
    November 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Thank you! I hope to have it up and running by the first of the year. I'm still gathering all my handout and then I want to do a practice run (free of charge) for a local couple. 

Quoting AntroNet:
    Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I'm on my 4th baby, but I'd seriously take your class because of what you are offering.  I agree...early care is ESSENTIAL!  I hope you have great success!

• DixieFlower
    December 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM

BUMP!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts