Natural Birth & Parenting

cali4niachef
Hello from a doula!
November 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Hey Ladies!!

My name is Cindy and I'm expecting my 3rd child. I have 2 boys, Reed will be 5yrs next month and Jac is 2.5yrs! My "guessdate" is March 31st.

I am a doula, new childbirth educator, breastfeeding counselor, and herbalist in training. I do belly casting, maternity and birth photography and placenta encapsulation.

I'm an advocate of babywearing, child-lead weaning, cloth diapering, using natural/holistic remedies, homemade baby food, attachment parenting, etc.

I make herbal products for the childbearing year which I sell at Farmers Markets and online on my website. I make salves, teas, ear oils, sitz baths & sprays, etc. I'm recently starting to learn more about homeopathy.

My first son was a planned birth center birth turned hospital birth. I was a "normal" uncomplicated hospital birth but it was NOT at all I wanted. I was induced for reasons I thought were medically necessary at the time (low AFI's) but later learned induction for low AFI's does not improve maternal and fetal outcomes. I had a slew of interventions, it was awful. But that birth was the catalyst to learning my calling was to become a doula and soon-to-be midwife.

My second son was a planned birth center birth, a very fast precipitous birth making it to the birth center 5mins before he was born. The birth center was an hour away. It was a wonderfully empowering and virtually painless birth, minus being in the car during transition.

This time I'm FINALLY getting my homebirth!!! I'm elated. I have to pay out of pocket for her services but I pray I get reimbursed.

But $3200 is super inexpensive for comprehensive prenatal, birth and postpartum care when the birth at hospital without complications or meds cost $8,000, thats not including the prenatal care. So its worth it to get the birth I want and to avoid the birth I dont want :O)

My favorite books are:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Born in the USA by Marsden Wagner
The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Romm
Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper

My favorite birth documentaries are:
The Business of Being Born
Orgasmic Birth
Pregnant in America.
You can see a clip of them here on my website

My favorite herbal teas are Red Raspberry Leaf, Nettle, Dandelion and Oatstraw

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    November 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

So GREAT to have you here!

:-D

(*I have missed you, sweetie!   It's a girl this time...  y'think??)

• JasonsMom2007
    November 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM
    Hi!
    This is ot but since you know about homeopathics can I ask you a question about my 3 year old? I just don't know what to do.
  • truealaskanmom
    November 4, 2010 at 3:22 AM

OMG I didn't know you were pregnant again.  Congrats that is soooooo exciting. 

• cali4niachef
    November 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Thanks!! I have no idea what I'm  having yet :O)

• cali4niachef
    November 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Hi!
    This is ot but since you know about homeopathics can I ask you a question about my 3 year old? I just don't know what to do.

Sure.

• JasonsMom2007
    November 4, 2010 at 3:29 AM
    Thank you so much!
    My 3 year old has allergies bad. We had him tested. He is allergic to dust, mold, and trees. His eyes get red, puffy, and watery. He gets allergic shiners. He gets congested and has a terrible cough and he cannot hear due to congestion in his ears.
    His pediatrician put him on flonaise and zyrtec. I had to stop giving him the flonaise because he starts crying that random things hurt. I hate him being on meds but if I don't he gets ear infections from the congestion.
    The allergist wanted to give him allergy shots but after talking to his pedi we declined.
    I dust our house floor to ceiling weekly. He has allergen covers on his mattress and pillow. We have a filtration system in our house.
    None of it seems to really be helping!
    Any ideas what I can do to help him?

Quoting cali4niachef:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Hi!

Sure.

• cali4niachef
    November 4, 2010 at 3:36 AM

I like Nettle and Eyebright tincture or glycerinites for allergies. Works very well, I use it for myself and my boys. You can also make nettle herbal tea and give that to him on a regular basis. Its a great herb!

Stinging nettle, the most commonly used species for medicinal purposes, is widely distributed in the United States. The leaves and roots are used to make nettle tea. Nettle tea is rich in vitamins, calcium, iron, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, carotene, and zinc. It is also amazingly high in protein.  

Health Benefits of Nettle Tea

Woman's Tonic
    Nettle tea is considered an excellent tonic for women. Native American women would drink it during their pregnancy and use it as a remedy to stop excessive bleeding after delivery.  

After childbirth, nettle tea helps restore a woman's energy and stimulates milk production.  

Nettle tea can also reduce water retention, soothe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms, stop excessive menstrual bleeding, and treat anemia. 

Hay Fever 
    Nettle tea has natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory substances that can open nasal and bronchial passages, making it a great herbal remedy for treating hay fever. Drinking nettle tea three times a day can help prevent springtime allergies. 

Other benefits of nettle tea include treating coughs, urinary tract infections, symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and a variety of intestinal disorders.  

SOURCE

I'll check my homeopathy books in the morning and back to you on that.

Quote:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Thank you so much!
    My 3 year old has allergies bad. We had him tested. He is allergic to dust, mold, and trees. His eyes get red, puffy, and watery. He gets allergic shiners. He gets congested and has a terrible cough and he cannot hear due to congestion in his ears.
    His pediatrician put him on flonaise and zyrtec. I had to stop giving him the flonaise because he starts crying that random things hurt. I hate him being on meds but if I don't he gets ear infections from the congestion.
    The allergist wanted to give him allergy shots but after talking to his pedi we declined.
    I dust our house floor to ceiling weekly. He has allergen covers on his mattress and pillow. We have a filtration system in our house.

• JasonsMom2007
    November 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Thank you! We will try that

Quoting cali4niachef:

I like Nettle and Eyebright tincture or glycerinites for allergies. Works very well, I use it for myself and my boys. You can also make nettle herbal tea and give that to him on a regular basis. Its a great herb!

Stinging nettle, the most commonly used species for medicinal purposes, is widely distributed in the United States. The leaves and roots are used to make nettle tea. Nettle tea is rich in vitamins, calcium, iron, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, carotene, and zinc. It is also amazingly high in protein.  

Health Benefits of Nettle Tea

Woman's Tonic
    Nettle tea is considered an excellent tonic for women. Native American women would drink it during their pregnancy and use it as a remedy to stop excessive bleeding after delivery.  

After childbirth, nettle tea helps restore a woman's energy and stimulates milk production.  

Nettle tea can also reduce water retention, soothe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms, stop excessive menstrual bleeding, and treat anemia. 

Hay Fever 
    Nettle tea has natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory substances that can open nasal and bronchial passages, making it a great herbal remedy for treating hay fever. Drinking nettle tea three times a day can help prevent springtime allergies.  

Other benefits of nettle tea include treating coughs, urinary tract infections, symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and a variety of intestinal disorders.  

I'll check my homeopathy books in the morning and back to you on that.

Quote:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Thank you so much!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts