The Venting Booth

Featured Posts
Mrs_Velez
I find this offensive...anyone else?
March 3 at 8:25 AM

I live in a small town. The school district has decided to place pictures of animals on their busses so that the smaller kids that cannot read numbers know which bus is theirs For example bus 123-Cat or Bus 321-Dog...

This morning I was at a redlight and I see a short bus (the bus used to transport the handicap and special needs children) and the picture of the animal is a fucking TURTLE! Now I don't know if this was intentional but I found that to be extremely offensive towards special needs...

(I worked for the state training special needs adults and evaluating behaviors so this is offensive to me and I think it should be removed, it's rude.)

Replies

• Mrs_Velez
    March 3 at 9:11 AM

You're right. I have not spoken directly to them regarding this matter because I just seen it this morning. I know that a majority of those children that talk to me at conventions and cry in my arms because of the hurtful things people say to them would also find this offensive and the few that understand may be to scared to voice their opinions. Without stressing them out about the conflict why not just let them be involved in changing it. That way they feel as if they were the voice. I wouldn't even be opposed to having a turtle on their list...if they agree that they want a turtle then that is their choice but let them be the ones to decide that.

Quoting motherslove82: You are "speaking for them" when you haven't even spoken to them. You have no idea if they are bothered by this or if they have even noticed. What if you pointing it out is the thing that makes them notice and feel bad?
    Quoting Mrs_Velez:

I called the transportation department and they have received many other complaints of this and are looking into assigning another animal. I recommended that they go to the schools asking the SpEd children what their favorite animal is and then assign the most liked one to the bus for them that way they feel as if they are being heard. Kid's need that kind of support. I dealt with adults that were forced into an institution by their parents because they didn't want to deal with them as children. If you have seen the things I have or heard what these adults went through as children then you'd be upset about it as well. They get called so many names on a daily basis, fighting for their life because people think they are a disgrace. I have counseled so many adults that have been through rape, and other forms of abuse just because they were not able to speak up for themselves because they were not taught that as children. Now all of you are acting as if you don't know that one of the insults these children hear on a daily basis is "slow", now do you honestly think that children that hear that they are "slow" want to ride on a bus that is portrayed by a "slow" animal. That is like a slap in the face for them. Don't sit there at your computer and lecture me about how far i'm looking into this because I actually care about these kids and someone needs to speak out for them.

• LokisMama
    March 3 at 9:16 AM

No...tortoises are slow, at least on land. 

Turtles in the water?  Have you ever actually seen one?  Anything but slow.

If it's a tortoise, I could understand being offended...actually, no I couldn't but still.  

But a turtle? Nah...I wouldn't find that offensive. 

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Turtles are considered "slow".

Having a turtle as the mascot for a special needs bus is kind of demented.

Quoting Steph84FL: I don't get it. I like turtles.

• gowings42
    March 3 at 9:16 AM

Turtles are sacred where I come from, so I'd be honored.

• MistyMoo
    March 3 at 9:17 AM
    Nope, don't find it offensive and my son is special needs.
  • BCauseImAwesome

Turles are cute. I dont see the issue. Id have more of a problem with the school dumbing down things for kids. Any kid that is old enough to ride a bus, is old enough to be able to know which number bus they take.

• raegan1221
    I don't find it offensive. I doubt anyone intentionally placed a turtle on the bus with any implications. I wouldn't make a complaint imo.
  • BCauseImAwesome
    March 3 at 9:18 AM

Really? Wheres that? I think thats awesome.

Quoting gowings42:

Turtles are sacred where I come from, so I'd be honored.

• MrsErdos2011
    Special needs adults still have obstacles to overcome.

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Did you not see the part where I said I've worked with adults with special needs. I've been around adults and children all my life with special needs or disabilities...

Quoting MrsErdos2011: Yes turtles are slow but it's not demented. Turtles live to be hundreds of years old and have very few natural predators. Do you have any idea how many obstacles they have to face and overcome in their lifetimes?
    Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Turtles are considered "slow".

Having a turtle as the mascot for a special needs bus is kind of demented.

Quoting Steph84FL: I don't get it. I like turtles.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    Turtles move surprisingly fast actually. Youre being way to sally sensative. What if there is a monkey image and theres black kids on the bus. Or an alligator and some kids great uncle died from an alligator attack. Its just ridiculous what people get all up in arms about.
  • codfish
    by codfish
    Oh for Pete's sake! It is an animal....get over it already.

The Venting Booth

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN