The Venting Booth

Featured Posts
Mrs_Velez
I find this offensive...anyone else?
March 3 at 8:25 AM

I live in a small town. The school district has decided to place pictures of animals on their busses so that the smaller kids that cannot read numbers know which bus is theirs For example bus 123-Cat or Bus 321-Dog...

This morning I was at a redlight and I see a short bus (the bus used to transport the handicap and special needs children) and the picture of the animal is a fucking TURTLE! Now I don't know if this was intentional but I found that to be extremely offensive towards special needs...

(I worked for the state training special needs adults and evaluating behaviors so this is offensive to me and I think it should be removed, it's rude.)

Replies

• Britney24
    March 3 at 8:31 AM
    I do find that very offensive that's just wrong.
  • gammachris
    March 3 at 8:34 AM

I have a nephew that has special needs (autism and cerebral palsy). I love this young man dearly. He is slow as molasses in January.

All of that being said, I think you're being ridiculous. It's a freakin' turtle. Who cares? I think you're reading WAY too much into this. There are lots of other windmills you could choose to tilt at that would actually make a difference for these kids. Why don't you pick one of those instead?

• Mrs_Velez
    March 3 at 8:35 AM

Would you call the transportation dept and ask for it to be removed if you seen that? I have been contemplating that.

Quoting Britney24: I do find that very offensive that's just wrong.

• Sister_Someone
    March 3 at 8:35 AM

I... don't get it.

• Steph84FL
    March 3 at 8:36 AM
    I don't get it. I like turtles.
  • Mrs_Velez
    March 3 at 8:37 AM

Because as you know, having a special needs relative and all, these children often rely on others to be the voice of them.

Quoting gammachris:

I have a nephew that has special needs (autism and cerebral palsy). I love this young man dearly. He is slow as molasses in January.

All of that being said, I think you're being ridiculous. It's a freakin' turtle. Who cares? I think you're reading WAY too much into this. There are lots of other windmills you could choose to tilt at that would actually make a difference for these kids. Why don't you pick one of those instead?

• Mrs_Velez
    March 3 at 8:38 AM

Turtles are considered "slow".

Having a turtle as the mascot for a special needs bus is kind of demented.

Quoting Steph84FL: I don't get it. I like turtles.

• Steph84FL
    March 3 at 8:40 AM
    They do move slowly. Still not connecting the dots.
  • Paigesmommy78
    March 3 at 8:40 AM
    It's just a turtle I think ur reading to munch in to it
  • awesomemommy2
    March 3 at 8:45 AM
    So in your opinion any one with any type of special needs should have no association with turtles?

The Venting Booth

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts