The Venting Booth

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line
June 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

lockIf you only heard half of the story, you'd totally side with Jesse Daniels. See, Daniels happened to catch a bunch of kids allegedly vandalizing the house he's been renovating. Like, really vandalizing. According to Daniels, he found four boys between the ages of 8 and 10 taking a hammer to the home. "One person was sitting on the floor and the other ones were swinging, just swinging crazy," Daniels said. But when you hear the boys' version of what happened, things change. Instead of simply calling the police to report the boys' obnoxious behavior, Daniels allegedly locked them in a closet until the cops got there. And that was after he did something really awful. 

According to the boys and their parents, Daniels grabbed the hammer, grabbed one of the kids by the throat, and threatened him. "I understand they were in the wrong but there are other ways to handle it," said one father. "He knew who the kids were; it's not like they were strangers. Send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Uh, amen to that. It isn't easy to side with kids who are bashing in a home with a hammer, but what Daniels allegedly did makes it possible. I can imagine he was beyond frustrated and mad to discover what the boys were doing -- as anyone would be -- but there's a way to deal with things. And that way doesn't involve grabbing kids' throats and locking them in a closet. Did these kids deserve to get in trouble? Absolutely. But they didn't deserve to fear for their life, which is probably what they were doing if what they're saying about Daniels is true.

If Daniels would have handled the situation less aggressively -- IE, if he would have called the cops and that's it -- he would have gotten exactly what he wanted: Punishment for these kids. But since his anger took over, he now may be facing charges, as well. (Charges that could potentially land him in jail for a year.) I doubt that's what he was after when he discovered what was being done to his house. But if this proves to be true, this is exactly what he deserves. Two wrongs don't make a right. As an adult, he should know that better than anyone.

What do you think of this?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    June 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

If they were my kids, I would have not been mad. IMO Kids were old enough to know better, some people cant teach their kids respect. they deserved what they got.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    June 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he didn't try to strangle the kid.  I bet they tried to high tail it and he didn't want them to leave so they'd have to face the consequences of their actions.  Upon trying to wrangle them into the closet I bet he accidently hand his hand around his his shoulders and it may have slipped around his neck.  I don't think he lifted him like Homer Simpson does to Bart or anything like that.

I mean, come on!!  It wasn't that they just hurt his property.  They may have cost him tons of money that the families may not be able to pay back for months and through tireless court trips.  Has anyone tried to live in a house while floors were being installed?  It's frustrating as hell!  They trespassed and continually did damage to his house.  Not an "oops," but intentional damage!  At ages where they should know better.

I'm not saying what Mr. Daniels did was exactly who it should have been handled, but I'm not that offended by it.  Locking them in a closet and making them wait it out until the cops come instead of them running home and making the cops jump through hoops or hearing "it wasn't me" is sorta okay with me. 

This is up there with a parent whispering to a cop, "Put him in the cuffs so this shit doesn't happen again!"  Scared straight?  I bet those kids won't pull this shit again.  Good for Mr. Daniels.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    June 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

If they were my kids, I would have not been mad. IMO Kids were old enough to know better, some people cant teach their kids respect. they deserved what they got.

Yes!  Once upon a time kids feared their parents punishments more than any other punishments out there.  That time seems to have passed.  I know growing up if I thought to go into someone elses house without their permission my first thought would have been wondering if my mom would be pissed if she found out.  Obviously that fear didn't enter these kids' minds. 

Now that fear is nice and lodged in there.  I bet the next time the opportunity to go into someone else's house without their conset arises that these two won't do it!  Check two people off the potential future thiefs list.

• kerryket
    June 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    Calling the police was fine, the other stuff was over the line, I tried to put kids that age who I have known personally in the equation, if I or my husband reacted that way we'd be in the wrong.
  • catrig
    by catrig
    June 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Meh.  An overreaction, but I doubt they were in any real danger.  I could be wrong.

• Alexsi1
    by Alexsi1
    June 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I'm on the fence. Maybe he is one of those old school people who thought scaring the hell out of those kids would yield better results than just getting the police involved. Nowadays kids do not fear adults and think they don't have to answer to anyone.

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    June 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

If I'd have been caught as a kid doing that my parents would have told me I got off easy. That's horrible behavior, with no excuse for it, and I'm talking about the kids. They weren't hurt, they were just scared, and for the stupidity they showed they got what was coming. Seriously.

• rebeccasmly
    June 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

As a parent, I would be furious he laid a hand on my kid and threatened them, then locked him in a closet. I have good, respectful children that do stupid stuff sometimes and bear the consequences of their actions. Those consequences being reasonable, not other people threatening to harm them and locking them in a closet. I would much rather deal with the police and court then have someone do what he did.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    June 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Little assholes got what they deserved. I would go out on a limb and say my children would never but hey some kids can be fuckin stupid.

This was stupid and wrong. I feel for that guy! Those kids more than likely tried to run and nothing would have been done. I hope the parents have to pay back every cent they damaged.

Just saying if it was my house, I would have corralled them as well and waited on the cops.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    June 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Well, if the kids are to learn their lesson, then YES they deserve to fear for their lives.  If kids are old enough to get onto someone else's property, destroy the work that has been done to it, then they deserve no sympathy.  The guy didn't hurt them.  They probably got the same fear they get when watching those horribly scary movies parents negligently allows them to watch.

BTW, what did the man say to their accusations?  I personally wouldn't believe those kids.  They aren't exactly trustworthy kids, and they had lots of time to think of revenge while locked together in the closet.  Please!  Give the man a medal, and make the parents pay for the damage.

The Venting Booth

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN