HeatherNYC
Do You Play With Your Kids?
March 5 at 12:00 AM

Parenting is a tough job. It is the most rewarding, yet most challenging thing we will ever do in our lives. But folks have been doing it -- being parents -- for, well, ever. (I'm thinking this hefty thought as I pick dried mac and cheese off of the table, if you must know.)

But, it's interesting, when I talk with my mom about what being a mom was like when I was a young kid or when I watch videos and listen to Joanie discuss her memories of raising her kids, one thing pops out at me: parenting, at its core, hasn't changed over the years. It was tough for them, too. However, what has changed are the situations we as Moms of Today encounter.

Here at Mad Life, we've tackled a lot of what makes parenting today rather Mad Life-y -- the hard juggles, the tough conversations, the elements of Life in today's world that makes doing our job to raise these little creatures a wee bit more difficult than eras gone by. On that list: the whole technology-Facebook-iPad-chatroom scene, the "speed" at which kids are growing up, the dual-career household dance...and we could go on and on, right?

One of the main things that my mom always talks about is this new idea of playing with your kids. She admits she never played with me. Sure, we read together, maybe played games as we were older, and snuggled on the couch, but she never plopped on the floor and played dolls...and nor did she feel the pressure to do that. I was asked by a parenting expert and mommy friend of mine, Rachel Cedar, to be a part of her examination of this "playing with our kids" phenomena. In February, she kicked off the 28 Days of Play blogger series (you can read my take on playing with Kiddo here).

What's is cool is, as you read all of these various essays by writer moms from every walk of life, almost all of us feel guilty or confused about playing with our kiddos -- whether we do it enough, how we feel when we say "no," if we are doing it "right," or even if we should be doing it at all. This? This is a new thing. Moms of past generations never felt this way. Who knows why this is a parenting issue now, but it's there, one of the many on my list that makes this impossibly hard job of being a mom even harder.

Another one? Play dates...I'll give you my take on that tomorrow.

Do you play with your kids? Do you like to play with your kids -- or do you feel guilty when they ask and you say "No"?

¬©Flickr.com/Chris Preen 

Replies

• blondiemomof2
    March 5 at 12:14 AM

Not usually. We will go out and play and have a good time but at home Im more of the talk and snuggle type mom. 

• KymberleeAnn
    March 5 at 2:26 AM

I like to play with my children all the time see play make believe games a lot.

• Sisteract
    March 5 at 7:37 AM

Mine are grown.

• Lizzys_mommy13
    March 5 at 8:31 AM

We play all the time! :) 
    We do play dates, we play together, we sit down and learn things together, we go to the park (when the weather is nice) and we do a lot of crafting. I DO feel guilty when I am extra tired and say no though. 

• lalasmama2007
    March 5 at 8:33 AM

Yes, I do because my dd is an only child and a lot of the time she doesn't have anyone else to play with.

• johnny4ever
    March 5 at 9:18 AM

We still love board games

• Saucy1
    by Saucy1
    March 5 at 9:41 AM
    I don't usually play with them. I'll play board games. Sometimes soccer or catch. My hubby plays with action figures with my sons. My daughter isn't into dolls, so I've never had the opportunity for that. For fun we like to go places has the family...zoo, park, arcade, bowling, mall.
  • jen113000
    March 5 at 10:35 AM
    We play together. Snuggles and tickling are my favorites though lol.
  • othermom
    March 5 at 11:18 AM

Yes I do. Board games, play sports and stuff

• krys1025
    March 5 at 11:19 AM
    Yes I do. I play trucks, legos, puzzles, read books or superheroes with my 2 yo I play board games or wii with my 15 and 11. I won't lie and say I always enjoy it, because sometimes I have other things I need to be doing. But I still do it :)
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN