CafeMom Team
Heroes: Are Our Kids Worshipping the Right Ones?
February 5 at 11:38 AM

We had celebrity role models when we were kids, so when we see kids doing the same thing, how concerned should we be about the people they choose to idolize?

Replies

• proudmommy690
    February 5 at 12:09 PM
    Im not really sure who they idolize. They're still too young for that...except my 7yr old. But she hasn't said who she really loves or idolized.
  • goddess99
    February 5 at 12:55 PM

I don't really worry too much about this. A couple weeks ago my dd, 11, told me how shocked she was that Miley is behaving inappropriately. Her words. So that was nice to hear she gets it and she doesn't like her anymore. Guess I'm doing something right.

• HotSouthernMess
    February 5 at 1:37 PM

My kids are pretty shielded from main-stream media. They have no clue who most "famous" people are. 

• Rust.n.Gears
    February 5 at 1:47 PM
    I am very happy with who my kids idolize. My 9 year old wants to be Bronwen Weber whose a baker on Food Network Challenge. My 12 year old daughter loves J.K. Rowling. She's president of the school newspaper.
  • mamamedic69
    February 5 at 1:50 PM
    My dd is still young plus we don't really watch TV.
  • sukainah
    February 5 at 2:24 PM

I think my kids are too young, still to have a real hero.  Heck, they still love Thomas and friends LOL

• ceciliam
    February 5 at 2:46 PM

I don't really believe in idolizing other people. I would rather teach my son to be true to himself, and not worry about basing his life and decisions off of someone he doesn't even know.

• Barabell
    February 5 at 3:03 PM
    I feel the same way as you. My 14 year old son also thinks her actions are very inappropriate, and it reassures me that he knows better than to idolize a negative roll model.

Quoting goddess99:

I don't really worry too much about this. A couple weeks ago my dd, 11, told me how shocked she was that Miley is behaving inappropriately. Her words. So that was nice to hear she gets it and she doesn't like her anymore. Guess I'm doing something right.

• strictmomhere
    February 5 at 3:11 PM
    My girls feel the same way:)

Quoting goddess99:

• jessicasmom1
    February 5 at 3:28 PM

Hmmm DD must worship God above all then I call it respect for people. idolize athletes, musicians, actors and actresses 

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN