CafeMom Team
How Do We Cope with Our Aging Parents?
April 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Our parents are getting older and now it's time for us to be the caregivers. Watch to hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck have to say about this really important topic. 

How do we handle that transition, and what's the best way to help our parents in the aging process? 

Replies

• SarahSuzyQ
    April 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We're not quite at that stage of life yet, as all of our parents are in their 50s. We talked about this when we were first married, and agreed that we would like to offer as much support to our parents as possible when they did get older... Make space for them to live with us, have flexibility to travel and support them, etc. I'm not sure what shape it will take, but it is something I think about.

• la_bella_vita
    April 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Both my husband and I are from teen parents and neither of our parent are even 50 yet. I guess that's a bridge we will cross when we get there.

• TheBabyFactory4
    April 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    I'm not at this point yet. It's my grandparents that are aging
  • Leelee1008
    April 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My father died 2 years ago, and I dont see my mother. I live with my grandmom and I try to help her out as much as I can. She cant do the things she used to and she still thinks shes superwoman

• Madelaine
    April 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Thank you!

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    April 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Help them get their finances in order toward retirement life. If they are interested in a retirement community, help them find one.

• countrygirlkat
    April 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    I think we will just take the cues from our parents as to what their wishes are and how they will be most comfortable.
  • pittymama
    April 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

my parents are barely 50 and in great health so we aren't there yet :

• Hottmomma607
    April 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    My dad passed away 3yrs. ago! As well as my grandma but she was in her 90's! My mom is in her 60's my dad was a young 62 when he passed!
    Over the years going to funeral for young people under 21yo age who have all died of natural causes death has no age limit? You think you have time&boom!
    Both my parents were active! My dad was skycap! He carried bags at the airport! DH's parents are in their 50's!
  • .Angelica.
    April 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

i'm not there with my parents yet. my parents are there with theirs right now though. it is hard watching my grandparents health deteriorate. :(

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN