CafeMom Team
How Do We Talk To Our Kids About Sex?
April 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Andrew has two teenage boys, so he is ready for advice! Sexologist and Sexuality Educator, Dr. Logan Levkoff is here to help us break down the birds and the bees. 

How Do We Talk To Our Kids About Sex?

Replies

• MichelleK41
    April 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I say be straight up and honest. Its up to him as a parent to decide if the boys would like the talk privately or in the same room with each other. 

• la_bella_vita
    April 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I am just honest and open. Sex is not something I shy up about. I want my children to come to me with sex questions.

• SarahSuzyQ
    April 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    I think you have to start early so it's not something that's shameful, but kids still understand that it's private.
  • brittany208
    April 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    I do agree that you should talk about sex in a positive way--that its a good thing, but I think it's a fine line. Tell your kids all the time how wonderful it is, they are going to want to go out and try it themselves. And I dont think just thinking that you are ready is enough. Bc kids aren't ready and they think that they are. Glad my DS is still little so I dont have to talk about this quite yet!
  • louannwilkins
    April 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I think starting as early as they're able to understand it and add things as they get older.  Then its something that's not as embarrassing etc. for them.  It's something they've grown up hearing about. 

• louannwilkins
    April 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I also think it's important to make sure they feel comfortable to talk to you about anything.  Keep the lines of communication open.  :)

• LindaClement
    April 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Candid, and early.

Kids should always know the correct terminology and understand the fucntions of their major organ systems most of a decade before puberty.

• Stevensmomma
    April 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

not their yet ds is 5 but he has asked a few things about where his brother came from and i just gave appropriate for his age answers but when he is old enough i will but upfront and honest about everything 

• wandep
    by wandep
    April 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    Mine are too young yet.
  • joi_kool
    April 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    I agree to keep things positive however, I think you have to have age appropriate conversations with your child. I have 12 year old boy/girl twins. My daughter is older mentally than my son. The conversations have to be different with what they can handle.