Cafe AmyB
Are you in Homework Hell? Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck had to say!
January 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Recently, we asked: “Do you think your kids have too much homework?” Some moms felt that there was too much and others mentioned that the homework was so difficult they weren't even able to help their children.

Hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck from the Mad Life have to say and then tell us, Are kids getting too much homework, or not enough?

Replies

• Traci0794
    January 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I agree with all the comments that reference parents spending more time being actively involved in their child's education!  I have a daughter in 2nd grade and she gets about 30 minutes of homework a night.  It doesn't feel excessive but her teacher sends her "homework packet" home every Friday and it is due the following Friday.  This has taught my daughter how to manage her own time.  She understands that if she chooses not to do any homework on Monday night, another night during the week she may have to double up.  Plus her teach gives them options: their homework packet usually states pick 5 of the 10 listed assignments.  This enables my daughter to choose assignments that she enjoys.

Often there are physical activities listed in their homework packet such as jump rope while reciting your spelling words or do jumping jacks while reciting your spelling words and have a parent sign that you completed this assignment.  I LOVE when her teacher does this, it gets the kids moving and they think it is a lot of fun!

• melissaanne2002
    January 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    Last yr my son was in 1st grade in California had about 15-20 min a night of homework which was math and spelling
    This yr he's 2nd grade in Michigan only gets 20 min a night to read! I'm like where's the rest of the homework. He reads on his 45 min bus ride so when he gets home he's done and has no homework.
  • kmsoverton
    January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Joan makes some great points. As a retired teacher, believe me homework is a four letter word!
  • heather4511
    January 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    I have been out of high school for four years now..and even then sometimes the work was highly overwhelming. But I guess that prepares kids for life, because being as adult is about juggling all kinds of things. and teaches time management.
  • wannabgypsy
    January 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    it can be overwhelming to me and my grandaughter who seems to have no time to play by the time she is done doing ALL of it!!! She is 8 for heavens sake!!!!
  • Tessa35
    by Tessa35
    February 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    My Girl takes as many AP coursesas she can and does alot o community service to get to Yale! A regular colllege desnt cut it now, its geting to compettive! She wll be urnt out at 20 and her brain is not dne growing yet!
  • Tessa35
    by Tessa35
    February 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Sory for the typos the phone rang!
  • nngmommy83
    February 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    I think it's too much for my 7th grader
  • staceyddzz
    February 23, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    jessicasmom1, I know the feeling. My 4th grader has an IEP, but problem on my end is that our school district changed things this year and all classes are split level classes. The teachers she has this year aren't as patient with my daughter, who literally asks for help on EVERYTHING.
  • staceyddzz
    February 23, 2013 at 5:05 AM
    They sometimes send home the actual math workbook from class so she can finish it, since she sometimes won't finish it there. What drives me nuts is its mosly math sent home. For me I don't mind it, but DD hates it & fights it to the death if she thinks its hard. Its even hard to get her to read!