Cafe AmyB
Why do resolutions rarely stick?
December 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It's a new year, the perfect time to start fresh and traditionally the time to make New Year's resolutions.

So many of us makes resolutions to lose weight, stop smoking  and we even promise ourselves to be kinder or more attentive to our family.
Unfortunately just can’t seem to make them stick.

Why do you think resolutions rarely stick?

Replies

• emilyrosenj
    January 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Because they are made in the heat of the moment.  Resolutions should not be made at the beginning of the year but at specific points during the year when you see a specific need in your life. Any day is a great day for a new start!

• Juniper53098
    January 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Lack of support can be an issue, not REALLY wanting to do it is a problem.

• .Angelica.
    January 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I believe they fail because if you really wanted to make a change you would just do so instead of waiting for a new year to try to implement your plan. I have never made a resolution.

• ceciliam
    January 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I think it is because people put too much pressure on themselves and it just becomes another task. If you really want to do something, then you will, no matter what time of year it is.

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    January 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I think most people expect to fail and therefore they don't take the resolutions seriously to begin with. It's sort of a game. We make the resolution, then we laugh at ourselves when we fail.

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    January 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Posted this on Facebook a week or so ago: "My thought on resolutions is 'if you're serious about it, you won't put it off until some magical date on the calendar, you'll start now. Ready? GO!'"

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    January 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Also, people tend to view a 'slip' as a failure. It's not. The failure is using that slip as an excuse to stop trying.

• arpazia
    by arpazia
    January 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm not sure,I never mark any!

• aneela
    by aneela
    January 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

people sometimes need help sticking to their goals and they dont always get that help

• countrygirlkat
    January 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I think it is because if people really wanted to change they would have already changed and not waited until the New Year to start. 

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN