Cafe AmyB
How much privacy do you give your kids?
December 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It's a different world today than when we were kids.  Today kids have Facebook, Instagram, texting and more.  How often do you check in on your kids internet and cell phone activities?  Do you think they deserve privacy? Or do you think it's your job to track them on a daily basis?

Replies

• Knightquester
    December 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

A parent's job is to supervise, watch and teach their children.  This doesn't end even when a child is home and on the computer.  The Internet as I have told my children is like being in the middle of a crowded city, you're susceptible to all kinds of violations and even being approached by the wrong person if you're not wise.  So, yes parents should supervise, educate, and ensure their children are making wise decisions and not placing themselves in dangerous situations.

• momofsixangels
    December 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

As far as FB they all have accounts but they are my friends on there.Too many crazies on there not to be

• GypsiSky
    December 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

We are very much on top of what our children do in all of these areas.

• timon95
    by timon95
    December 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

we have safe eyes on the internet and they need to let us know what they are going to do first. they are only 7 and 9, no texting or anything for them.

• timon95
    by timon95
    December 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

agree

Quoting TigerofMu:

I absolutely check on my kids' online activities.  I keep an eye on my kids' rooms, stuff, whatever.  It is my job to protect them and guide them.  I can't keep them safe if I know what they're doing.

• inmybizz
    December 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM

My child is 8..she doesn't have her own computer-she uses mine( and I'm all up in her business)..She doesn't have a cell phone or do text messaging..  As far as her room and personal things I'm all up in there , too..

I will easy up as she gets older but right now i heavily monitor everything..

• yrfavoritseason
    December 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I'm not a big fan of parental 'snooping' on accounts such as Myspace/Facebook etc. I think it breaks a level of trust.. unless there was behavior suggesting that she/he was behaving dangerously online. When my daughter gets old enough for social media, my plan is to have an older (responsible) relative, aunt/cousin/etc, that has ALL the passwords to her accounts. I would not have the passwords. BUT if the trusted relative sees anything dangerous (online predators, older men commenting on pictures, conversation with friend about drugs etc) she will show me/DH. My daughter will know this. Kids need their own individuality and privacy, but not to a dangerous level.

• happymommy1105
    December 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    they are too young for internet or cell phones

but they are allowed to have their space and talk about things when they are ready
  • arpazia
    by arpazia
    December 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Ds doesn't have an email or Facebook or anything like that.
  • sandbuster
    December 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Aiden is only 6 so he has no privacy.

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN