Cafe AmyB
Is it important to be your child's friend?
November 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Where do you draw the line between being a friend to your child and being their parent?

girl giving flower

Replies

• lillucky8
    November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Well mine are only two and three months so im their world still :) i guess i will figure out that balance when they are older
  • SlapItHigh
    November 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

There's no line for me.  They are two separate things.  I am my child's mother and friend.  Just like I don't have to draw any lines between being my husband's wife and his friend. I'm both.

• mydarlingsofia
    November 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    My dd is only 9 months but I plan on being both. I guess we'll see once she gets older
  • LOswald0314
    November 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    Mine are so young.... But we will have fun together while still drawing that line.
  • tabi_cat1023
    November 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Friends dont generally try to guide you or teach you right from wrong...a few do but most are your buddy and influence each other as equals.  Parents should teach right from wrong PERIOD.  Sure talk with your kids, but theres a time when something is an adult matter and kids should not be a part of the discussion.

• nngmommy83
    November 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I'm both to my kids. They certainly know I'm the authority figure but they know they can trust me as well

• craftymomo2g
    November 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I am more of a parent now as they are younger, but hopefully as they get older I will be more of a friend. I would consider myself both.  I believe I am more or less depending on their age/stage in life. I will always be their parent though.

• BeiberHATER
    November 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Not here to be her friend. I have friends that let their children do way too, all for the sake of wanting to be a cool parent. I have a friend that lets her daughter who is 12, have a 16 yr old boyfriend and let him stay the and just let her 12 yr old get a tattoo and it was not from a professional tattoo artist. She had a tattoo party and he daughter thought it was 'COOL' so this dumb bitch lets get her one. I am not my daughters friend simply because I need to keep an undrstanding between her and I. She is 14 and now is not the time to be her friend, I have save her from being like some of her stupid ass friends.

• JP-StrongForTwo
    November 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM

My daughter is only 9. i am the mom. we have fun, totally. but i am still the MOM. 

i do plan on being more of a 'friend' as she gets into the teen years. but it will be a mixture of BOTH, with more on the MOM side than friend. 

• VintageWife
    November 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

There's no line for me.  They are two separate things.  I am my child's mother and friend.  Just like I don't have to draw any lines between being my husband's wife and his friend. I'm both.

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN