Kid's Fashion Center

Carmen S
Cold Weather Fashion
December 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Long gone are the days of throwing on a pair of flip flops and running out the door. Leaving the house in the winter takes a bit more preparation, and if you aren't careful, your kids may walk out the door looking a bit, shall we say, homeless. My own children are absolutely famous for leaving the house in 30 degree weather wearing a sleeveless shirt, a tutu and flowery sandals. When they are called on it, the protestations of "But this is what I want to wear - and I'm not cold!" seem to fill my ears forever.

How to get the kids to dress appropriately for the weather is a constant discussion in my house - and I'd venture to say, in yours as well. Short of holding them down and forcing the correct weather apparel on their bodies, how do you do it?

• Make it fun - there's a reason that there is a proliferation of character gear available - kids are more apt to wear a Hello, Kitty hat than a plain black hone - so take advantage of it. Maybe your boy loves MInecraft; there are a ton of Minecraft winter apparel opportunities. Maybe your daughter goes gaga for Barbie - buy some Barbie gloves and watch her refuse to take them off.
  • Make some of it non negotiable - In our house, a hat is an absolute after a certain temperature drop, and because my children are asthmatics, scarves are also required (on the recommendation of their allergist). I allow more wiggle room on gloves. Pick what your battle area is and let the rest go. For my own mom, we always had to have a coat that covered our bottoms.
  • Let them pick out their gear - Especially as your child gets a bit older, giving her a bit of money and some guidelines to buy winter gear may work in your favor. It's less work for you, she gets to feel like a big shot, and the odds are better that she will wear it.
  • Model good behavior - Um, how good are you at wearing your winter hat? Kids aren't dummies, and no matter how important you say it is to wear a hat - if you don't do so, you don't have much credibility.

How do you get your kids to dress appropriately for the winter weather?

©iStockphoto.com/ideabug

Replies

• lillucky8
    December 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    My dd hates being cold so she loves bundling up. She wears a nice thick sweatshirt or fleece, then her jacket, hat, mittens :)
  • sweetmissy_05
    December 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My girls don't mind bundling up when it's cold out.

• momma-flynn
    December 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    We don't have to bundle often, but dd loves to wear hats, scarves & gloves.
  • 4kidz916
    December 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

We don't usually get extremely cold weather so it's not a big challenge for me.

• MamaBear2cubs
    December 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It is not really a struggle for us.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    December 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Pretty much anything is negotiable - I think below 20 degrees, I do insist on a coat on the 4 yo - he is the balky one.  30 degrees isn't that cold (to this Minnesotan anyway).  If they are cold, they will dress better next time!  Getting cold doesn't make you sick - that's an old wives tale.

I just model appropriate dressing for the weather & make sure that what they "should" be wearing is available.  I do cringe at my 4 yo refusing to wear his coat & sometimes wonder what other people think.  But until its in the 20s or colder, I don't force it.  Luckily, by that point it isn't hard to get his coat on him.

• ceciliam
    December 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Luckily, my son likes gloves, hats and scarves.

• Madelaine
    December 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ours dont mind bundling up.

• fraujones
    December 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It can be a battle some mornings. We've bought things she really likes which helps. I need to work on modeling good behavior. I often go out without a hat or gloves when I'm rushed (which is pretty much all of the time ;)

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    December 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If they resist what I consider reasonable, I let them choose, and if they get cold, next time they dress warmly.

Kid's Fashion Center

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts