Kid's Fashion Center

GFunkified
Too Cool For School: The Hipster Look
December 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I think kids, whether they are trying to fit in with their peers or trying to stand out from the crowd, are always searching for their own style. Mine are still (mostly) happy to wear what I set out for them every day, but that'll soon change, I'm sure.

One of the biggest trends the last couple of years is the hipster look. Liking or discovering things before they're actually "cool" to everyone else is a major distinction that sets hipsters apart from the rest, whether it's in music, art, clothing, or accessories. Because it's so trendy now (which I know makes true hipsters positively cringe inside), it's easy for kids to style themselves after these "cool characters".

Help your kids get the hipster look with the following pieces:

Skinny jeans: rolled up into peg legs or long with flats or knee-high boots, skinnies are everywhere, in all sizes and colors, for boys and girls.

Vintage tees: Truly vintage from a second-hand store or hand-me-down chain, or a vintage replica from your favorite store, kids can show off their interests with hip, worn tees.

Cardigans: Layered over everything (vintage-y dresses or blouses, those tees I just talked about, a button-up shirt), a long cardigan will keep your kid cozy and cool.

Accessories: thick-rimmed glasses with a prescription or just as a charm on a necklace, scarves that complement but clash just enough with an outfit (same color family but different patterns, or vice versa), head bands, retro sneakers, and even pocket watches all lend a unique touch to your child's outfit.

Dark tights with flats: Combined with a dress and a cardigan or a blouse and shorts, it's a go-to look for a little girl with a lot of style flair.

Keep the look sleek and layered, and your little hipster will look positively adorable.

Do you have any little hipsters in your family?

Replies

• frankiesma530
    December 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    My daughter loves vintage tees!
  • Jazmyn1
    by Jazmyn1
    December 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    Son loves the "skater" look longer hair skinny jeans etc.
  • elasmimi
    December 19, 2012 at 7:13 AM

nope, she's into dresses and tights.

• MichelleK41
    December 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Skinny jeans for our teen here, not sure how she can stand squeezing into them, LOL.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    December 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM

No hipsters here. My sons are 5.5 & 4 and not aware of fashion trends. They wear what they like.

• 4kidz916
    December 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM

My girls like skinny jeans but you'd never catch my son in a pair.  lol

• cara124
    by cara124
    December 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

my teenagers a skinny jean wears in the family.. DS 11 is more about comfort then style LOL maybe the will change as he gets older .

• cara124
    by cara124
    December 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

as you can see in our christmas photo shoot that DS was about comfort & DD 15 was going for style LOL .

• jessicasmom1
    December 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Yes she is in with the style ... 

• tabi_cat1023
    December 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Mine love vintage tess but thats it

Kid's Fashion Center