Kid's Fashion Center

Carmen S
Dealing with Kids Personal Fashion Tastes
November 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Everyone has their own fashion sense. This is a good thing, because it allows each of us to express our own sense of creativity - and our children are certainly not left out of this. After all, who among us hasn't seen a child dressed in public, and smiled to ourselves, knowing that the child must have dressed himself? Or gone to the grocery store with a little girl wearing a tutu, tiara, frog rain boots and a super hero cape?

Sometimes, it's just not worth the battle. It doesn't matter, in the long run, if your child wears the same pants for a month - as long as you can wash them, of course - or refuses to wear the color orange.

There may be some times, though, that you have to fight the good fight. You may be going to visit grandma, and you just know that grandma will make a fuss if Junior isn't in a suit and tie. So, you have to compromise. How can you meet the fashion needs and desires of your child without squashing their individuality, and help them to stay appropriately clothed in a non attention grabbing fashion?

• Pick your battles - Be stubborn about something else. Not everything is a battle. Is it really super important that your child go to church dressed nicely? Then maybe you can let go of the control when the child goes to the park. You can't be in charge every single time - your child has to feel a sense of autonomy in order to develop a sense of self.
  • Be willing to compromise - Sometimes, you have to let go and allow your child to wear that purple tie with a yellow shirt. Maybe you will be insistent that your daughter wear a dress, but you can let her wear brightly colored tights and boots.
  • Understand that they aren't trying to be difficult - Your child is learning to develop a sense of self and not trying to make you mad. Well, not in this instance, probably. So don't take it personally when your son tells you that your choices stink. He doesn't really mean it. (I hope.)
  • Go with the flow - It's a true testament to parenting that there's always going to be something going on, something to get annoyed about, something that will need your effort and attention. Clothing probably isn't worth it - unless it's morally offensive or completely against your ethical values, it's probably not worth the argument.

How do you help your child learn to develop a sense of style without having an enormous argument?

ŠiStockphoto.com/asiseeit

Replies

• BabyTeki
    November 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    So far I haven't had to deal with this. Most that happens is sometimes my son wants to wear his snow boots and I'll let him.
  • Kmakksmom
    November 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

They know what we find okay to wear and what we find not okay to wear.  We aren't strict at all, but they know and respect it.  All we ask is if our girls wear skirts or dresses that they have shorts or leggings underneath, and their shirts don't rise up and show their bellies if their arms are raised all the way in the air.

• timon95
    by timon95
    November 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I don't have to worry about dd too much, she has a good sense of fashion. ds on the other hand could care less if he matches or not. At times, i don't care...other times, what I say goes and you will wear what I tell you..no argueing period! dd will tell ds when he doesn't match.

• celestegood
    November 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    I have one fashionista and three boys who could care less.

Quoting timon95:

I don't have to worry about dd too much, she has a good sense of fashion. ds on the other hand could care less if he matches or not. At times, i don't care...other times, what I say goes and you will wear what I tell you..no argueing period! dd will tell ds when he doesn't match.

• celestegood
    November 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    That sounds reasonable.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

They know what we find okay to wear and what we find not okay to wear.  We aren't strict at all, but they know and respect it.  All we ask is if our girls wear skirts or dresses that they have shorts or leggings underneath, and their shirts don't rise up and show their bellies if their arms are raised all the way in the air.

• 4kidz916
    November 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I let them express themself in their clothing as long as it is within good taste and is age appropriate.  I don't put up a big arguement about style usually. 

• heather4511
    November 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    I choose to avoid that battle with my DD..as long as the outfit is decent according to the weather, i really just don't care. It really made me self conscious when my mom told me an outfit looked dumb, so I don't want to do that.
  • SweetLuci
    November 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I set the peramaters...basically what the school sets, and the amount to be spent, and within that, she can choose what she likes. It's worked well.

• Harris06
    November 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I let my girls pick out thier outfits as long as it is appropriate for what we are doing/where we are going. i.e. my 3-year-old wearing pink plaid and cartigan with colorful leopard..hey, the pinks matched. ;), purple sequence boots with her black/leopard dress, or a tiara to church on Sunday. :)

• celestegood
    November 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    I agree-as long as its appropriate.

Quoting Harris06:

I let my girls pick out thier outfits as long as it is appropriate for what we are doing/where we are going. i.e. my 3-year-old wearing pink plaid and cartigan with colorful leopard..hey, the pinks matched. ;), purple sequence boots with her black/leopard dress, or a tiara to church on Sunday. :)

Kid's Fashion Center

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN