Kid's Fashion Center

Carmen S
Dressing Siblings for Fall
November 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM

One of the things that I most looked forward to when I had two little girls was dressing them in matching outfits. They were two and one half years apart, which was, to me, a perfect set up. I could buy a toddler girl outfit and a baby girl outfit, and they'd always look SUPER CUTE.

Yeah, well, that worked for about a year. And then my toddler girl became a very independent four year old, who wanted so badly to be as grown up as her older brother and half siblings, and wanted nothing to do with the baby - and most emphatically did not want to look like her.

Then I was lucky enough to have a second set of girls, who were only a year apart, and I was able to dress them in the pass me down matching outfits from their older sisters. I forgot to factor in that, after six or so years of those matching outfits, being passed form person to person, and one girl wearing the same pattern for an unbelievable five years - I grew heartily sick of matching sibling outfits.

These days, my kids are older, and I've learned a few things along the way - and my kids have developed a sense of their own style. To begin with, dressing sibling groups for fall most emphatically does not mean that everyone has to wear the same pattern, print, plaid or color. In fact, I'd venture to say that one might do well to stay far away from the matchy-matchy. I've had a lot of luck when I ask my kids to wear complimentary colors - maybe everyone in light pastel shirts and khakis, or jeans and white (or black) shirts.

Accessories help to pull an outfit together. My four girls wore yellow shirts last year for Thanksgiving, and each shirt was different, but each girl wore the same scarf and earrings. It was a cute photo and everyone could pick the style and shade of shirt that was the most comfortable for them. 

Dressing my sons in the same shirt might be cute to me, but at 20 and 13, it's not cute to them. Polo shirts of similar shades, paired with a solid color sweater, means that they can coordinate and not match. I've also learned that it's better if I purchase the clothes that I want them to wear together in a little bit higher quality - that way, the colors don't fade, the seams stay crisp and sharp and I'm not afraid to pass the shirt down to the next.

Don't forget that your children, while siblings, are still individuals. One of my boys has developed a very preppy style, while the other has not. One of my girls is very fashion conscious, while her closest sister is content to wear her brother's hand me downs. Let your kids develop their own styles, and let them be individuals, even if it does mess with your desire to have them match.

What are your best hints, tips and tricks for dressing siblings?

ŠiStockphoto.com/iofoto

Replies

• lalasmama2007
    November 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I don't have any tricks since I only have one child.

• Zamaria
    by Zamaria
    November 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    I just don't let them wear colors that clash, like one kid wearing orange and one wearing red. For pictures or special occasions, I usually get shirts or sweaters that have the same colors but different styles, or the same style but different colors. I don't like the matchy matchy thing.
  • celestegood
    November 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    It's ok! I have noticed a lot of girls questions, but I don't have girls, so.....I improvise my response.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I don't have any tricks since I only have one child.

• celestegood
    November 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    I don't force them to match each other, but they do have to mostly match with what they are wearing.

Quoting Zamaria:

I just don't let them wear colors that clash, like one kid wearing orange and one wearing red. For pictures or special occasions, I usually get shirts or sweaters that have the same colors but different styles, or the same style but different colors. I don't like the matchy matchy thing.
  • MamaBear2cubs
    November 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I like them to pick out what they like.

• natesmom1228
    November 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I only have one child.

• elasmimi
    November 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My girls were as different as could be, one was very girly from day one, and loved ruffles and frills; the other was a tomboy. No way I could have dressed them alike w/o making one miserable.

• Janet
    by Janet
    November 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

To dress them with what they like to wear.

• BabyTeki
    November 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    I'm still getting started on this. Since its a boy and girl though the most I've done is big brother and little sister shirts
  • Sisteract
    November 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I had girl and boy combo.

Back in those days (late 80s and early 90s) Gymboree was the matchy draw- we did do some of that when they were less than 6. Once the daughter turned 6, that stopped.

Kid's Fashion Center

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN