Kid's Fashion Center

GFunkified
Dressing a Little Princess
November 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My daughters, without any prompting at all (save for a few cartoons and movies), have decided that princesses are the Best. Thing. Ever. I know that some parents would rather the "P" word never enter their kids' vocabulary, but even as a self-proclaimed feminist myself, I'm okay with it. I know that I'm a good role model for my daughters, in the same way that their grandmothers, teachers, and aunts are.

How this princess obsession is most apparent  in our daily lives is in the girls' wardrobes. As long as we're at home, they can dress up however they like.They would probably wear their dress-up princess gowns out of the house regularly if I'd let them, though. But not only are they not exactly practical for gym class, they don't keep the girls all that warm, either.

But, I have found a few ways to let my girls channel their inner princesses daily.

Shoes: Whether they're sneakers with a picture of a princess on the side, flats with bows, or maryjanes covered in sparkles, the right shoes can put a twinkle in her toes and have her dancing down the sidewalk.

Dresses: They aren't princess gowns, that's for sure, but a trend this season in girls' clothes is a ballerina influence. This translates into cotton dresses with an attached tutu, stretchy fabrics with glitter woven throughout, and a lot of light pink. These all lend themselves to a lot of twirling, grooving, and pretend princess play.

Accessories: Accessories are such an easy way to dress up an outfit. Go to just about any big retail store with kids' clothes, and they'll have jewelry, hair clips, fancy socks, and headbands. Look for the ones with rhinestones, glitter, or flower embellishments and your little princess will be smiling from ear to ear, even if she's wearing a pair of jeans and plain old sweater.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your child dressing up in public once in a while, but for every day wear, there are plenty of easy ways to make her feel like royalty.

Do you have a little princess in your household? How do you handle her dress-up pleas?

Replies

• alliesmom112
    November 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

what a cutie!!! 

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

My daughter isn't so much into princess stuff (she actually wants to be a cowgirl), but she certainly loves dresses and dressing up. Which is great since I make kids clothes and dresses, lol.

• alliesmom112
    November 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

we do the same thing with the clearance shopping. I am so excited about all the Target Halloween stuff being 90% off because I was able to pick up some princess stuff for dd 

Quoting gacgbaker:

We have three little princesses who love to dress up!  My 4th daughter I'm sure will too- we usually shop the clearance items for princess things and it goes through all of them so it is money well spent!

• sweetmissy_05
    November 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    Yep my daughter has special needs too so she loves dressing up :)

Quoting alliesmom112:

sounds like Allie she is bouncing back and forth from her Tinkerbell dress and Minnie mouse dress from Halloween. She has been asking for the Cinderella dress and now that costumes are 90% off Target we will go pick up it up and put it away for Christmas 

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

She loves to wear dresses and loves to dress up. Right now she's been wearing her butterfly princess dress from her halloween costume.

• slw123
    by slw123
    November 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I let my daughter dress up, within reason.  We've taken her to Disney dressed as Cinderella, which is really cute btw because the employees at the parks called her 'princess' or 'cinderella'.

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    November 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I have two girls that like to dress up.  We have a suitcase that holds their dress up clothes and accessories.  They usually don't have any issues with wearing their dress up in public.

• .Angelica.
    November 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

my daughter is only 10 months so i'm not sure if she will be into princesses. she's already somewhat girly though so my guess would be yes. (she LOVES shopping. LOL)

• Kmakksmom
    November 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Oh yes!  I have 4 of those princesses!  My girls *and son* love to dress up.  I think it's in their genes, lol...I loved doing that too.

• 4kidz916
    November 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

All my girls were little princesses.  My now 15 year old used to wear a crown everywhere she went from the age of 2 until she was about 4.  

• jessicasmom1
    November 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

yes ., she is always trying my clothes on too 

• celestegood
    November 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM

:(  I don't have any princesses, although I have always wanted one.

Kid's Fashion Center