Kid's Fashion Center

GFunkified
Dressing a Little Princess
November 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My daughters, without any prompting at all (save for a few cartoons and movies), have decided that princesses are the Best. Thing. Ever. I know that some parents would rather the "P" word never enter their kids' vocabulary, but even as a self-proclaimed feminist myself, I'm okay with it. I know that I'm a good role model for my daughters, in the same way that their grandmothers, teachers, and aunts are.

How this princess obsession is most apparent  in our daily lives is in the girls' wardrobes. As long as we're at home, they can dress up however they like.They would probably wear their dress-up princess gowns out of the house regularly if I'd let them, though. But not only are they not exactly practical for gym class, they don't keep the girls all that warm, either.

But, I have found a few ways to let my girls channel their inner princesses daily.

Shoes: Whether they're sneakers with a picture of a princess on the side, flats with bows, or maryjanes covered in sparkles, the right shoes can put a twinkle in her toes and have her dancing down the sidewalk.

Dresses: They aren't princess gowns, that's for sure, but a trend this season in girls' clothes is a ballerina influence. This translates into cotton dresses with an attached tutu, stretchy fabrics with glitter woven throughout, and a lot of light pink. These all lend themselves to a lot of twirling, grooving, and pretend princess play.

Accessories: Accessories are such an easy way to dress up an outfit. Go to just about any big retail store with kids' clothes, and they'll have jewelry, hair clips, fancy socks, and headbands. Look for the ones with rhinestones, glitter, or flower embellishments and your little princess will be smiling from ear to ear, even if she's wearing a pair of jeans and plain old sweater.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your child dressing up in public once in a while, but for every day wear, there are plenty of easy ways to make her feel like royalty.

Do you have a little princess in your household? How do you handle her dress-up pleas?

Replies

• Mrs.Andrews
    November 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

My daughter dresses up in anything and everything. She likes to be a fairy, a bride, and a superhero the most. I help her dress up with the stuff we have around the house. And I am putting together a dress up box for her birthday. It has wings, tiaras, wands, tutus, a fireman outfit, some police gear, things like that. 

I think kids should be free to play whatever they want, within reason of course.

• Shopsha0911
    November 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

we had bins of dress up clothing and my daughter was allowed to were every princess costume outside of the house. I was never in to squashing creativity of any sort. Free spirit and all that. 

• Harris06
    November 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I have three little princesses and I let them princess it out! If they want to wear their princess dress and shoes to the store than so be it. Why not? My 3 year old has, more than once, worn her tiara to church on Sunday morning. One morning she even took her wand with her. :)

• celestegood
    November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    Awwww....

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My dd was really into princess stuff when she was 2-3. I never had a problem with her wanting to wear dress up stuff outside of the house.
  • celestegood
    November 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    You are all so lucky.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    November 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I used to have a little princess. Now she is grown up. She was very much a princess too. Love to dress up. I love buying her all the pretty things. I miss my princess being little. When she got her car I bought her a leather key chain that said what else but "princess" on it. 

• sweetmissy_05
    November 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Yes my 4 year old mostly but my 3 year old LOVES princesses too.....so we have a couple dress up costumes for them to wear.

• celestegood
    November 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    Awww.

Quoting Janet:

I used to have a little princess. Now she is grown up. She was very much a princess too. Love to dress up. I love buying her all the pretty things. I miss my princess being little. When she got her car I bought her a leather key chain that said what else but "princess" on it. 

• celestegood
    November 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    So cute.

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

Yes my 4 year old mostly but my 3 year old LOVES princesses too.....so we have a couple dress up costumes for them to wear.

• celestegood
    November 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    I'm just so jealous of you ladies with your princesses. lol

Quoting Harris06:

I have three little princesses and I let them princess it out! If they want to wear their princess dress and shoes to the store than so be it. Why not? My 3 year old has, more than once, worn her tiara to church on Sunday morning. One morning she even took her wand with her. :)

Kid's Fashion Center