Informed Births, Empowered Women

louzannalady
Journeys (A getting to know you post)
August 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Let's hear about you! What are your experiences? What does having an informed birth mean to you? 

Replies

• redrose_2012
    September 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I'm Lily, I am 23 and a preschool teacher. My guess date is December 23, and this is my first baby. I am having a girl who I am naming Celia Grace. I am planning a no drug, no intervention birth at a birthing center. I just moved to the area I live in to try and move a date gone wrong. I have only two close friends here that are not good with people in pain or blood.

• MomX3LJC
    September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi, I am Kaci. I am a mother to 4.

My first, was induced for non-medical reasons. At ym 39 week appt, I was at a 3 and the doc asked if I wanted to induce the next morning. After a very rough pregnancy (hyperemesis gravidarum), I was more than ready. I had never read or heard about inductions, but just trusted my doc. With that birth, I went for 5 hours with no pain meds while on Pitocin, then for the last two hours of labor, I opted for the epidural. I pushed for 45 minutes and baby girl was born. 

My second, I was still pretty uninformed, but vowed not to get induced again. My water broke at home at 38 weeks 5days, and when I got the the hospital, I was at a 6 and got the epidural. Pushed for 44 minutes after another 7 hour hospital labor and he was here.

My third, I was more informed, still vowing not to get induced, but I did not stand my ground when the nurses put an internal monitor on my baby's head. I refused, but they did not listen and I just let them do it. Then they started a Pit drop after my water broke against my wishes. The baby went into distress (I believe because of the monitor, he kept twisting around and ended up wrapping the cord around his neck), and was delivered via ER C-Section. 

My fourth, I was determined to have a VBAC, I fought with my doc for 30 weeks, then Rachel (louzannlady) provided me with links to the iCAN blog, and I demanded that the hospital give me a list of docs who would do one. I found a very supportive doc two doors down from my regular OB/GYN, and had a very successful VBAC (will post story shortly)

I now try to help women in my community make informed choices about child birth and rearing. While I do not push my views on anyone, I do try to gove information so that they may decide what is best for their families. 

• rfhsure
    by rfhsure
    September 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hi, I'm Melissa. I'm 16 weeks along so far. It's my first baby and the amount of options out there are overwhelming! But I want to start figuring out my birthplan now because I want to get comfortable with it and prepare myself completely so I feel more comfortable when the time comes. i'm due beween february 20th and 27th. I started my doctor's visits with an OBGYN and in all honesty, I don't like her at all. She always rushes me through her office, doesn't address me by name, hasn't congratulated me and doesn't so much as ask how i'm doing when I come into her office. Our last ultrasound she didn't even turn the screen towards me so I could see the baby and I had to interrupt her saying goodbye to me 3 times just to ask her questions, because she didn't bother to ask me if I had any. This is my first child and this experience is very, very important to me. Obviously all children are, but I'm new to all this and I'm full of quesitons and my mind is like a sponge! My last visit with my OB inspired me to do what I originally thought about and pursue a midwife. I was interested in it in the very beginning but didn't know if my pregnancy was low risk and I thought a doctor would be more equipped to deal with it.

The more I've learned the more I feel like a midwife is right for me. I'm going to meet her for the first time on Tuesday so I really hope that goes well! I am prepared for the intense amount of pain I'll be going through but I really want to stick to my guns and do it drug free. A lot of my friends have said that's crazy, and I feel like people keep trying to encourage me to get the epidural. I won't be in labor til February and people are already trying to tell me how I should give birth! My baby's dads sister used one and it feels like he keeps trying to give me ideas based on what she did. I like her but this isn't her birth. I am worried he might try to push me to get one when he sees me in pain, and I'm hoping he doesnt. I am young, and very healthy. so I don't see any reason why my body can't do what it was designed to do! I am wary of a home birth because it's just not the right environment. but I'm going to a hospital that supports birth plans, so I'm hoping that will be enough. I am very scared of the pain so I've been highly considering water birth. i know it can really help with the pain and it just seems like the most natural way to do it. Baby's underwater for 9 months so why not be born into it? I read louzannaladys story and really appreciated her comments on my post when I first considered it and am pleased that this group is here. I really want to learn everything I can about the birthing process and really develop a plan that's good for me. I'm a really petite girl so I worry about tearing and things, but I don't see why I should have to get an episiotimy or use an IV during my birth. I'm mostly worried about how hospitals seems to go out of their way to encourage and facilitate interventions. Any advice on how to deal with that? Or recommendations for birthing classes that might help me learn more techniques? Any and all advice is more than welcome!

• TTC2Long
    September 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    I'm Gina. I'm 31, married 6 years and we have a 2 year old son, Jude. He'll be 2 years, 10ish months when Gummy Bear arrives.

I always knew I would birth naturally. I'm.vegetarian - have been for 16 years - I cloth diaper, full-term bf, erf, make my household cleaners, eat organic and locally as much as possible, etc. We were ttc for 2+ years for ds and during that time I did TONS of research to prepare myself. Dh wasn't comfortable with a homebirth and we couldn't really afford it anyway (a home birth here is $3-5,700 and a birthing center birth is $5,200!), so I studied hypnobirthing at home, wrote a thorough birthing plan, assembled a strong birthing team and hired a doula. I labored at home to transition and was at 8cm when I reached the hospital, which was my goal. Hospital policy is no epi after 8 and there was obviously no need for pit since I was progressing quickly at that point. The hospital I birthed in has a 97% epidural and a 52% c/s rate! The nurses were great but the doc was a nightmare: he got mad that I didn't want meds and said, "I just don't understand why anyone would want that! and stomped out. Too bad for him I pushed ds out fast and the nurse caught him! 8 total hours of labor, 2 hours at the hospital, 4 minutes of pushing. He never crowned. He went from +2 to out!

With my upcoming birth in the spring, I plan to labor at home in my dear friends' birthing pool with her as my doula, then transfer again at transition. I REALLY wish I could just stay home, but we just can't afford it. :( So I'll make do with what I've got.
  • louzannalady
    September 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Hi! So happy to see you here! : ) Congrats, again, on your pregnancy! : ) You are asking great questions and the reservations you feel are completely normal! 

My first recommendation is that if you do birth in the hospital, hire a doula. They are so important! They reduce your risk of c-section, reduce the amount of drugs mom use, they reduce the likelihood of PPD, and increase the mom's chance of success in nursing. You can find a doula using this link, below. The location and such is to the left. http://www.dona.org/   You can also ask about student doulas, if the doula(s) in your area charge more than you are able to pay at this point, or many will barter for you to babysit or do yardwork and such. There was a study carried out by Dr. John Kennell, on the effect doulas had on the birthng process. He said, "If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.” Here is the study he conducted. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2008.00221.x/abstract

If you have a hospital birth, a great book to read is Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She outlines the most common interventions in hospital birth and looks at the merit of each practice through the eyes of reputable studies. I used this book as a jumping off point to create my birthing plan. : ) 

You said birthng at home is not an option, right now. Are there any birthing centers in your area? You can search through google to find out, or a local would know. 

As for getting your SO on board with an intervention-free or limted-intervention birth, I highly recommend you guys watch the movie "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix Instant Watch. It really helps him understand what you guys are up against in birthing in most hospitals in the US. 

Oh and this might help him understand as well. Here is a link so you can try and look up your hospital's c-section rate. Explain that that percentage of births end in major surgery at that hospital and that you would feel safer either at a birthing center or having a doula if you birth there. 

http://www.cesareanrates.com/hospital-level-cesarean-rates/

— 

Quoting rfhsure:

Hi, I'm Melissa. I'm 16 weeks along so far. It's my first baby and the amount of options out there are overwhelming! But I want to start figuring out my birthplan now because I want to get comfortable with it and prepare myself completely so I feel more comfortable when the time comes. i'm due beween february 20th and 27th. I started my doctor's visits with an OBGYN and in all honesty, I don't like her at all. She always rushes me through her office, doesn't address me by name, hasn't congratulated me and doesn't so much as ask how i'm doing when I come into her office. Our last ultrasound she didn't even turn the screen towards me so I could see the baby and I had to interrupt her saying goodbye to me 3 times just to ask her questions, because she didn't bother to ask me if I had any. This is my first child and this experience is very, very important to me. Obviously all children are, but I'm new to all this and I'm full of quesitons and my mind is like a sponge! My last visit with my OB inspired me to do what I originally thought about and pursue a midwife. I was interested in it in the very beginning but didn't know if my pregnancy was low risk and I thought a doctor would be more equipped to deal with it.

The more I've learned the more I feel like a midwife is right for me. I'm going to meet her for the first time on Tuesday so I really hope that goes well! I am prepared for the intense amount of pain I'll be going through but I really want to stick to my guns and do it drug free. A lot of my friends have said that's crazy, and I feel like people keep trying to encourage me to get the epidural. I won't be in labor til February and people are already trying to tell me how I should give birth! My baby's dads sister used one and it feels like he keeps trying to give me ideas based on what she did. I like her but this isn't her birth. I am worried he might try to push me to get one when he sees me in pain, and I'm hoping he doesnt. I am young, and very healthy. so I don't see any reason why my body can't do what it was designed to do! I am wary of a home birth because it's just not the right environment. but I'm going to a hospital that supports birth plans, so I'm hoping that will be enough. I am very scared of the pain so I've been highly considering water birth. i know it can really help with the pain and it just seems like the most natural way to do it. Baby's underwater for 9 months so why not be born into it? I read louzannaladys story and really appreciated her comments on my post when I first considered it and am pleased that this group is here. I really want to learn everything I can about the birthing process and really develop a plan that's good for me. I'm a really petite girl so I worry about tearing and things, but I don't see why I should have to get an episiotimy or use an IV during my birth. I'm mostly worried about how hospitals seems to go out of their way to encourage and facilitate interventions. Any advice on how to deal with that? Or recommendations for birthing classes that might help me learn more techniques? Any and all advice is more than welcome!

• louzannalady
    September 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy! : ) Have you considered having an unassisted birth? I mean, you got to transition (I cannot imagine traveling during transition! You are amazing!) without medical assistance, would you feel comfortable just pushing out baby in that birth pool and having the birth you seem to want? There is a great group who can give you excellent resources, if that is a direction you would consider going. Some women decide to go that route and go to the hospital to be checked up if they need stitches and just say "oops!".... It is kind of a middle ground. I am so glad you have such a great support system, no matter what direction you go! : ) 

Quoting TTC2Long:

I'm Gina. I'm 31, married 6 years and we have a 2 year old son, Jude. He'll be 2 years, 10ish months when Gummy Bear arrives.

I always knew I would birth naturally. I'm.vegetarian - have been for 16 years - I cloth diaper, full-term bf, erf, make my household cleaners, eat organic and locally as much as possible, etc. We were ttc for 2+ years for ds and during that time I did TONS of research to prepare myself. Dh wasn't comfortable with a homebirth and we couldn't really afford it anyway (a home birth here is $3-5,700 and a birthing center birth is $5,200!), so I studied hypnobirthing at home, wrote a thorough birthing plan, assembled a strong birthing team and hired a doula. I labored at home to transition and was at 8cm when I reached the hospital, which was my goal. Hospital policy is no epi after 8 and there was obviously no need for pit since I was progressing quickly at that point. The hospital I birthed in has a 97% epidural and a 52% c/s rate! The nurses were great but the doc was a nightmare: he got mad that I didn't want meds and said, "I just don't understand why anyone would want that! and stomped out. Too bad for him I pushed ds out fast and the nurse caught him! 8 total hours of labor, 2 hours at the hospital, 4 minutes of pushing. He never crowned. He went from +2 to out!

With my upcoming birth in the spring, I plan to labor at home in my dear friends' birthing pool with her as my doula, then transfer again at transition. I REALLY wish I could just stay home, but we just can't afford it. :( So I'll make do with what I've got.

• TTC2Long
    September 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Yup, transition in the car for a HALF HOUR! The hospital is across Pacific Coast Highway from the beach - great views from the room, terrible traffic, especially since I had ds on the first Saturday in June after school let out! The two routes were completely jammed. It SUCKED.

I'm secretly considering uhb. ;) There's no way in HELL dh would support it, but I imagine being so relaxed in the water that I'm farther along than I thought and oops! She's here! ;D But that would be dishonest. Darn it.

Quoting louzannalady:

Congrats on your pregnancy! : ) Have you considered having an unassisted birth? I mean, you got to transition (I cannot imagine traveling during transition! You are amazing!) without medical assistance, would you feel comfortable just pushing out baby in that birth pool and having the birth you seem to want? There is a great group who can give you excellent resources, if that is a direction you would consider going. Some women decide to go that route and go to the hospital to be checked up if they need stitches and just say "oops!".... It is kind of a middle ground. I am so glad you have such a great support system, no matter what direction you go! : ) 

Quoting TTC2Long:

• louzannalady
    September 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Wow! I was at a four and a half when we went in (we were nervous because my contractions were less than two minutes apart a minute and a half each and I was just breezing through them) and I was MISERABLE! Even with a pillow under my bum! Maybe, it was because it was two AM and DH stopped by a McD's and it was closed, so then we went to Jack in the Box and they were slow as molasses! At least I got a good grilled cheese sandwich! : ) Man, I wish I could think of a way to convince your DH that a UHB is a good idea- other than the fact that it can be! Lol! 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Yup, transition in the car for a HALF HOUR! The hospital is across Pacific Coast Highway from the beach - great views from the room, terrible traffic, especially since I had ds on the first Saturday in June after school let out! The two routes were completely jammed. It SUCKED.

I'm secretly considering uhb. ;) There's no way in HELL dh would support it, but I imagine being so relaxed in the water that I'm farther along than I thought and oops! She's here! ;D But that would be dishonest. Darn it.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting TTC2Long:

• TTC2Long
    September 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    He is a very emotional, not very logical guy. He would support a hb, but only with a midwife and her phalanx of medical supplies. No matter how much info I give him or how many times I ask him to read Ina May's book, he is just ruled by fear in this area. It doesn't help that we have friends whose baby died after a hb. I keep reminding him that we don't know the whole story. We don't even know part of the story, so he shouldn't include it in his thought process. But... He's just not logical.

Quoting louzannalady:

Wow! I was at a four and a half when we went in (we were nervous because my contractions were less than two minutes apart a minute and a half each and I was just breezing through them) and I was MISERABLE! Even with a pillow under my bum! Maybe, it was because it was two AM and DH stopped by a McD's and it was closed, so then we went to Jack in the Box and they were slow as molasses! At least I got a good grilled cheese sandwich! : ) Man, I wish I could think of a way to convince your DH that a UHB is a good idea- other than the fact that it can be! Lol! 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting TTC2Long:

• rfhsure
    by rfhsure
    September 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm so on the fence of home birth, but a lot of it is because my options now are matt's dads house, or my moms house. he's saving up to get an actual house for us and the baby which he's planning to do in the coming months. I'm thinking if he is able to do that I'll feel much more confident doing it at home because we'll actually have our own personal space. The midwife I'm interviewing is part of a midwives clinic associated with northwest hospital. the hospital has a birthing center in it, but I don't really know if that's the same thing or if that's just a better word for maternity ward? They have a birthing bar and tubs available. I'm wondering if because the midwives are associated with the hospital whether or not they're willing to attend home births, so i guess that's something i should ask on tuesday when I meet her. I've really been putting a lot of thought into doula's, I've heard so many great things about how helpful they are. and it's my first time so I could really use it! With a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy, is the likelihood of breech pregnancies and other complications as common? That's my biggest concern with homebirth is a need for transference. i really don't want to start this good experience and suddenly be surrounded by doctors. Hospitals freak me out as it is!

Quoting louzannalady:

Hi! So happy to see you here! : ) Congrats, again, on your pregnancy! : ) You are asking great questions and the reservations you feel are completely normal! 

My first recommendation is that if you do birth in the hospital, hire a doula. They are so important! They reduce your risk of c-section, reduce the amount of drugs mom use, they reduce the likelihood of PPD, and increase the mom's chance of success in nursing. You can find a doula using this link, below. The location and such is to the left. http://www.dona.org/   You can also ask about student doulas, if the doula(s) in your area charge more than you are able to pay at this point, or many will barter for you to babysit or do yardwork and such. There was a study carried out by Dr. John Kennell, on the effect doulas had on the birthng process. He said, "If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.” Here is the study he conducted. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2008.00221.x/abstract

If you have a hospital birth, a great book to read is Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She outlines the most common interventions in hospital birth and looks at the merit of each practice through the eyes of reputable studies. I used this book as a jumping off point to create my birthing plan. : ) 

You said birthng at home is not an option, right now. Are there any birthing centers in your area? You can search through google to find out, or a local would know. 

As for getting your SO on board with an intervention-free or limted-intervention birth, I highly recommend you guys watch the movie "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix Instant Watch. It really helps him understand what you guys are up against in birthing in most hospitals in the US. 

Oh and this might help him understand as well. Here is a link so you can try and look up your hospital's c-section rate. Explain that that percentage of births end in major surgery at that hospital and that you would feel safer either at a birthing center or having a doula if you birth there. 

http://www.cesareanrates.com/hospital-level-cesarean-rates/

— 

Quoting rfhsure:

Informed Births, Empowered Women

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts