Ohio Moms

Cafe MichelleP
Does or Did Your Child Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend in First Grade?
January 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My 6-Year-Old Has a Girlfriend & I'm SO Not Ready for Her

Posted by Mary Fischer

boy in hat and sunglassesLast week, I had one of those moments in parenthood that pretty much every mom absolutely dreads. Yep, my 6-year-old son came home from school with a small piece of paper in his pocket, and lo and behold -- it had a little girl's name on it, along with her phone number.

And at first, I had to laugh a little, because he looked so darn precious when he handed me that piece of paper and told me that (we'll call her Sally) had given him her digits. I figured he'd probably forget all about Sally and her phone number by the next day -- but then the next morning, my heart sunk a little after he did the unthinkable.

Yep, he asked me to write his phone number down on a little piece of paper so he could take it to school and pass it on to Sally, you know, so they can both call each other whenever they feel like it. (Cue the feelings of sheer panic.)

And that's when I realized that my baby boy does, indeed, have his first girlfriend. Even though she really is a nice little girl, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, isn't it way too early for this sort of thing? I vaguely remember having a crush on a boy when I was about his age, but I know for certain that we weren't to the point of calling each other on the phone.

No, I'm not entirely stupid, and I realize there's a chance that my little dude and Sally are just good buddies who want to chit-chat once in a while, but still. He doesn't call any of his other friends on the phone yet, so there must be some sort of puppy love going on with this little girl, right?

I know, I know -- I'm totally overreacting and whatever is going on between little dude and Sally is perfectly innocent and not worth getting all excited about. (At least he's outgoing?)

I guess I'm just not quite ready for Sally to be in the picture quite yet, that's all. (Translation -- I was hoping to remain his one and only love for at least another year or two.)

Does or did your son or daughter have a boyfriend or girlfriend in first grade?

Replies

• johnny4ever
    January 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Nope..he still thinks girls smell to pretty!

• Misha1204
    January 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM
    Uh no...and thank god my baby talks too much & tells me every single thing. I did find a note last year...I can't remember what it said, but I do remember seeing the word "like". She said, it wasn't hers...yea, sure. But I reminded her that boys are nothing, but trouble and her education and being smart is #1. Hopefully, this will be in her mind for a long time.
    She really just hand out w/her little female friends...."bffs" as she calls them.
  • mommyfrey83
    January 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My kids aren't old enough for that yet. But I did have a boyfriend in kindergarten. It was just someone to play with though, lol!

• mjp2707
    by mjp2707
    January 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Ours are homeschooled and most of our friends are boys. They only have a few female friends. Our oldest is showing no interest in girls or boys other than playing. He is 5. Our middle boy looooooves little girls. He tells them they are best friends and hold their hands, and hugs them. I think he will be a ladies man.
  • SunnyDayz-Ahead
    January 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Both of my boys did the same thing, both did it in first grade too. One is in first now and the other is in 5th. Both took necklaces to their "girlfriends" for xmas although the younger one came back home with his.
  • cat1622
    by cat1622
    January 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My son has had a "girlfriend" every year and he is in the third grade. We know it is just silly games for them at this point. We did run into a problem last year with a girl in his class who was his "girlfriend" having gone through some bad abuse and knowing too much about sex because of it. Honestly, I'm glad for the boyfriend-girlfriend situation because my son showed me notes and we were able to get that girl help and out of that abusive situation. 

Ohio Moms