Ohio Moms

TheFamilyPants
Ohio Teen Sentenced to Life without Parole
November 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

17 year Old Brogan Rafferty was found guilty of triple murder in the infamous Craigslist killings and has now been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

Authorities say Rafferty, of Stow, helped Richard Beasley, of Akron, lure four victims at separate times with bogus Craigslist job offers to a nonexistent cattle farm in rural Noble County in southeast Ohio; they say the motive was robbery. Authorities say Beasley shot and killed three of the men; the fourth victim was shot in the arm and survived.

Rafferty testified in his own defense that he was afraid of Beasley and went along out of fear that he would be killed. Prosecutors painted Rafferty as a "student of violent crime".

The jury forewoman spoke after the verdict to detail how the jury had come to the guilty verdicts. She said that they were meticulous in going through each charge one by one. The fact that the defendant was a teenager weighed heavily on them as they knew if found guilty he would more than likely spend the rest of his life in prison.  Ultimately the jury came to guilty verdicts on all counts because the evidence against the teen was overwhelming.

Rafferty was tried as an adult.

This kid lived up the street from us and went to the High School in the next town over.  I remember when this story broke. Small town America is not immune to these types of things.  I wonder how his life played out. I wonder who was teaching him and guiding him. I'm not blaming anyone. Sometimes good parents raise bad kids. It just leaves me to wonder what went so terribly wrong with this kid.  That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

Do you think that teens should be tried as adults? What do you think of his sentence? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/[Alexander Raths]

Replies

• johnny4ever
    November 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Yes..agree with sentence

• allgood1108
    November 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    100% agree
  • mommyfrey83
    November 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I think it depends on how old the teen is. 17 is old enough to be tried as an adult in my book. As far as the sentencing, I'm not sure if I agree with it. Life without parole seems like a long time for someone who didn't pull the trigger. I would have to know all the details of the case before saying if I agree or not. 

• Shelly123
    November 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Life is a long time, the rest of your natural days.  Should he have gotton time of course, life I dont know, would twenty - thirty years in prison reform him, No.  I worked as a Corr. Officer they learn from one another how to be better crooks, cons etc.  Some have left prison to lead productive lives,  that was there choice prisons dont reform.  I definately feel he should have a long time to think about the choice he made, life .. hard to say.  Thats why I dont do jury duty.  (smiling)

• TheFamilyPants
    November 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting mommyfrey83:

I think it depends on how old the teen is. 17 is old enough to be tried as an adult in my book. As far as the sentencing, I'm not sure if I agree with it. Life without parole seems like a long time for someone who didn't pull the trigger. I would have to know all the details of the case before saying if I agree or not. 

I was thinking the same thing. He didn't pull the trigger and it seems like he wasn't present during the actual killings either. Although he knew about them and helped to coordinate them. I don't know about life without parole. I think ithat might be a bit too much as well. But he definitely deserves a very long time. 

• JoeyJrsMomma
    November 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I like the guilty verdict, but not sure about the sentence. Without being an actual juror and seeing all of the evidence, I can't really say for sure. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I'm not sure I agree with it. If he didn't actually do the killing part, I just don't know. 8(

Ohio Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts