Ohio Moms

TheFamilyPants
Who Won the Vice Presidential Debate?
October 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Last night Vice President Joe Biden squared off with VP candidate Congressman Paul Ryan for the first and only Vice Presidential debate. The debate was moderated by Martha Raddatz (ABC News chief foreign correspondent) and covered both foreign and domestic topics and was to be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each, according to the Commission on Presidential Debates. 

Both sides came out fighting and the interuptions were flying. Within the first five minutes I knew this was going to be heated. It was. 

One of the biggest clashes was over rival approaches to reducing federal deficits. 

Ryan's take: "The president likes to say he has a plan," said Ryan, a seven-term congressman. But in fact "he gave a speech" and never backed it up with details. 

Biden's retort: Biden conceded Republicans indeed had a plan. But he said that if enacted it would have "eviscerated all the things the middle class care about," including cutting health care programs and education.

Probably the most talked about on the internet social media was Biden's  his use of words. The most popular being when he blurted out that Ryan was offering “malarkey.” 

Fact checkers were hard at work through the night too. It will be interesting to see what they have to say too. 

Most news outlets are reporting that Biden won. But I've also seen that It was close in the post-debate polls of undecided voters. In a CBS poll, 50 percent thought Biden had won; only 31 percent thought the same of Ryan. In the CNN poll, 48 percent thought Ryan won. Only 44 percent thought Biden came out on top. So big difference.

The issues were discussed. The candidates had their say. Now what do you think?

Who won this debate? Did they speak on topics that interested you? Did you learn anything new about the policies of each ticket? 

©iStockphoto.com/[ jimmyjamesbond]

Replies

• ba13ygrl1987
    October 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    The cbs poll was among 500 undecided voters picked by cbs to view the denate and then be polled on 4 specific questions afterwards. The cnn poll was who do you think won, vote now online. That's why there's such a difference. Comparing the 2 polls is comparing apples and oranges. As a journalist writing an article you probably shouldve been aware of this.

To answer the op question Biden won. He played offensively most the night and Ryan straiht up didn't answer several of the moderators questions or bidens questions. He blew a lot of hot air. Ryan is a tool and a dumb one at that. And Biden proved that last night. After the presidents despicable performance last week I'm sure the Democrats were happy to have a win.
    And might I add if Romney becomes president he better do his damndest to stay alive for 4 years. Because Ryan is not capable of running the country at all. He needed to pick a better running mate for sure
  • bsawyer02
    October 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Biden definitely won. At times Paul Ryan looked bored at times and at others he looked like he had some funny secret he didn't want to share.
  • struezel
    October 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Biden owned Ryan! I very much enjoyed the debate.
  • mom_to_travis
    October 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Biden won.  He has more experience and I think he really enjoys debating.  He answered the questions ,Ryan dodged them.  Biden was the teacher last night, and Ryan got schooled.

• mom_to_travis
    October 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Me too, that was fun.  :-)

Quoting struezel:

Biden owned Ryan! I very much enjoyed the debate.

• mom_to_travis
    October 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I thought he started showing the strain fairly early on.  That tight little smile of his was plastered on but it looked like he was working hard to keep it there.

Quoting bsawyer02:

Biden definitely won. At times Paul Ryan looked bored at times and at others he looked like he had some funny secret he didn't want to share.

• mom_to_travis
    October 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Agree with that!!

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:
    Because Ryan is not capable of running the country at all. He needed to pick a better running mate for sure

• johnny4ever
    October 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Moderator was the winner!

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Biden won, hands down. He made all of his points, he gave plenty of TRUE facts, and he answered every question completely. Ryan did very little of any of that. He did do better than I thought he would, though. LOL And way better than Palin four years ago.

• BengalsN.Browns
    October 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

This made me laugh. So true. A complete 180 from last weeks moderator.

Quoting johnny4ever:

Moderator was the winner!

Ohio Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN