Virginia Moms

MTDLBlog
Three Norfolk Navy ships provided aid to Sandy victims
November 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM

The USS Carter Hall, USS Wasp an aircraft carrier much like the one pictured here and the USS San Antonio all have spent time in the Northeast contributing to relief efforts to help out Hurrican Sandy victims the last couple of weeks. All of these ships are based out of the Norfolk, VA area and were sent in the wake of the devastation.

According to a report by WRIC/ABC, Marines and Sailors assisted in the following: 

•   the repair of the Hoboken Ferry Terminal
  •  the repair of the Sandy Hook Coast Guard Station
  • the clearing of debri and assistance with restoration efforts on Staten Island and New Jersey's barrier islands.
  • used as coast guard landing platforms and search and rescue operation assistance

When reading all of this, I'm reminded how so many different organizations must come together in relief efforts and even in those times, they are still so far off from recovery. There are still so many people struggling to get by and find some sense of normalcy again - especially in the hardest hit areas. 

The stories that have come out of this storm just amaze me and leave me taking pause and remembering to be thankful for what I have and for the healthy and wellness of my family because we aren't guaranteed much. And, I hope for relief for those families who are most affected by this storm. 

Do you have family up in the New York and New Jersey areas? How are they doing? What has come to mind as you see the stories unfold in the wake of Hurricane Sandy? 

Image via iStock [Marshall Bruce]

Replies

• egyptian_mommy
    November 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    That's great.
  • virginiamama71
    November 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Thanks to the Navy.

I have an Aunt and Cousin there, they only lost power for a short time and everything else is ok 

• BeachMama05
    November 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    That's wonderful!!
  • SabrinaLC
    November 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I had a friend that lives in New Jersey.

Sadly we aren't friends anymore.  Last we talked she was doing fine, her area didn't get hit as hard as others.

Virginia Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN