Virginia Moms

Felicity532
Does your family watch TV while eating their meals?
October 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I have friends who watch TV during every meal time which to me means they are not talking and experiencing family time. What about your family? Do you always watch TV during meal times?

Replies

• nicki1018
    October 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We do but it's rare.  I love cooking a family meal and being together at the table.  9 out 10 we eat at the dinner table.

• TassellsMark
    October 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Nope
  • Rach0307
    October 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Breakfast and lunch are very casual, and DS usually just eats at his little table in the living room while I sit at the coffee table and watch TV (on weekends, DH sits with me). During dinner, we all sit at the dining table together with only our voices as noise, lol.
  • dingysfamily
    October 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

When the kids were growing up we always ate at the dinner table; now however we do eat in front of the tv most of the time.  It's just dh & I 80% of the time and when dd is home, she goes in the den and does her own thing.  We do still spend a lot of 'family time' together though considering she is 23 and pretty much on her own.  Just because dh & I eat in front of the tv doesn't mean we don't communicate with each other ... we do talk some, although I will admit he is usally watching whatever is on & I am reading.  He is coming down from his day's work & I'm letting him have his down time.  It works for us at this point in our lives. 

• virginiamama71
    October 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

No we have tv with no tv reception. Only time we sit in front of the tv and eat is when we watch movies, most of the time on Saturday night.

• Mount_St_Mama
    October 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We do pizza and a movie about once a month. Other than that we eat around the table as a family.

• b.futlz
    by b.futlz
    October 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    Yes but that will stop when the kids get older
  • AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Ugh no way! When I was. Growing up it consisted of getting take out and sitting around the tv with TV trays .
    Now as an adult we all sit around the table, talk about our day and tv is OFF!
    It's been proven that children who sit around the table at diner time make better grades, have better social skills and have better self esteem.
    I'm very proud of us for our diner time habits. I cook every night even if its just hot dogs and Mac n cheese.
  • Xat
    by Xat
    October 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

We do every now and then. My dh has class a two nights a week and when he does the kids will set up their table in the living room and we will watch a movie together, and there is no lack of communication because of it. We usually miss most of the movie because we are talking to much.

• MamarazziTo2
    October 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

We always eat dinner at the table together. Once in a while if the kids are watching a movie while I'm cooking I'll let them finish watching it from the table while we eat.

Virginia Moms