Virginia Moms

Man dies after eating roaches - ON PURPOSE!! Who does this??
October 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM


MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

The medical examiner's office said Tuesday it has sent samples of Archbold's remains for testing, but results are not expected for another week or two.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

The grand prize has been put aside in Archbold's name and will be given to his estate, Siegel told the AP.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."


  • nicki1018
    October 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

    God!  So crazy gross.

  • MyMysMommie819
    October 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

     That's nasty, I don't think I could ever eat anything like that. I don't even like to look at them. lol

  • Rach0307
    October 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    That is strange. I wonder what actually killed him. Even if he had a severe enough allergy to be fatal, you would think that he would have been showing signs after the first or second roach he ate. Poor guy :(

    On a sidenote, I would never participate in an eating contest, whether it's bugs or food. The whole idea of it make me feel sick!
  • virginiamama71
    October 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM

    Sad and such a waste of time.

  • Mom2Just1
    October 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

    Gross and sad.

  • Mount_St_Mama
    October 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

    That is pretty gross.

  • Xat
    by Xat
    October 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

    I know someone who has done this. When my brother was in high-school he would hang out with the guy down the street and one day they found a roach. His friend said he would eat it so he cooked it and ate it. I am so ashamed to know him lol.

  • egyptian_mommy
    October 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    I think I need to throw up now.
  • BeachMama05
    October 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM

    throwing up

  • SabrinaLC
    October 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    That is so gross, and not worth it! Eww. I feel sorry for his family. :-(

Virginia Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN