Iowa Moms

lovemyboyzAE
Type 1 Diabetes?
January 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Hi, just wondering if there are any moms out there who have a child with type 1 diabetes?  My 2 year old son was just diagnosed a month ago.  I am looking to connect with other moms who have children with this disease.  Looking for some support and some friends for him who share the same disability. 

Replies

• easinpc
    by easinpc
    January 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don't but here's a bump for you.  I hope you're able to find some other moms who can relate to what you are going thru.  Hugs!!

• lovemyboyzAE
    January 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

thanks, Emily.  I really appreciate the response.  I tried to get some support from another mom's group and I am getting no responses or no support.  I feel so alone right now, bawling my eyes out becuase I have no support.  I am fairly new to the Des Moines area and I don't know anyone here.  I feel like we made a mistake moving here, finding it really hard to meet genuine, caring people in the area.  We are doing the diabetes walk in February, so maybe we can meet some people there....trying to stay positive.

• Rachel0610
    January 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I don't have a child with diabetes but my dad has Type 2 so I was raised with the disability in my life.

• Ferrari
    by Ferrari
    January 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    My kids don't have it. My father did have type 1.
    What area are you in?
  • easinpc
    by easinpc
    January 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM

In one of her replies she says she's new to the Des Moines area.  I don't know of any groups in this area, but maybe you do?

Quoting Ferrari:

What area are you in?

• easinpc
    by easinpc
    January 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM

You're very welcome.  I'm just about 15 miles east of DSM and I know of several other moms in the DSM area in this group as well.  Hopefully one of them are able to help you out!  I think that the diabetes walk would be a great way to find resources in this area.  Good luck!

Emily

Quoting lovemyboyzAE:

thanks, Emily.  I really appreciate the response.  I tried to get some support from another mom's group and I am getting no responses or no support.  I feel so alone right now, bawling my eyes out becuase I have no support.  I am fairly new to the Des Moines area and I don't know anyone here.  I feel like we made a mistake moving here, finding it really hard to meet genuine, caring people in the area.  We are doing the diabetes walk in February, so maybe we can meet some people there....trying to stay positive.

• Ferrari
    by Ferrari
    January 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    None that deal with diabetes.

Quoting easinpc:

In one of her replies she says she's new to the Des Moines area.  I don't know of any groups in this area, but maybe you do?

Quoting Ferrari:

What area are you in?

• Ferrari
    by Ferrari
    January 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Where in the Des Moines area are you? I live on the southside of Des Moines. I may not be dealing with what you are, but can offer you support :-) I'm a very good listener and think of myself as a good person. We've recently learned my oldest is add. Its not the same, but I know it was a bit of a shock for me. I also needed support and an ear.
    I'm not from Des Moines so I get the feeling alone. Till this last year I was only surrounded by dh's family. I don't know many people in real life.
    So what I'm basically saying is that I'm here if you need someone to talk to. Or even get together for a play date. I have 3 children. My youngest is 2.
  • celestegood
    January 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    Good luck finding the help you need.

Iowa Moms