Iowa Moms

Cafe MichelleP
What Are Your Go-to Gifts?
December 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

6 Great Holiday Gift Ideas for Any Budget

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier

Acacia

At a loss on what to get for your favorite friends and family members this holiday season? I've got some great gift ideas for every budget, including these five golden mercury glass candleholders (Acacia, $24.95). These would look fabulous in just about any home, and what a great price!

Click through to see more fantastic ideas for men, women, and kids!

Brookstone

Someone told me recently about this handy microbeam flashlight ($14.99, Brookstone). She buys them every Christmas as gifts for friends and family members. The LED bulb lasts 1,000 hours and the light can be seen up to a mile away. Reviewers rave about the brightness of this light and say it has been invaluable. GREAT gift idea.

Amazon.comMy son loves his wooden building blocks, but they're heavy and large and he needs a lot of space to play with them. That's why I brought home these miniature building blocks (Amazon, $18.99) after a recent business trip. He's been playing with them ever since. They're just the right size to take on trips or play with on a tabletop, and with 50 blocks, there are plenty to build towers and castles and anything else he can dream up. He's been using them with his Skylanders figures, and I love that they inspire his creativity.

Sur La Table

One of the best gifts I ever received was a fancy lever-pull corkscrew, like this Peugeot Baltaz Lever corkscrew (Sur La Table, $89.95). Obviously, I'd never spend this kind of money on myself, but since someone else did, I use my corkscrew with great pleasure. Opening a bottle of wine is a breeze, which means there will be no more embarrassing grappling with a wine bottle in front of guests in my house -- ever again!

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream

Here in Nashville, there's always a line out the door at Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream. She makes far and away the best ice cream I've EVER tasted, and she'll ship it anywhere in the country! We sent some to my in-laws and Jeni's was the first place they wanted to go when they visited Nashville. With flavors like Brambleberry Crisp, Goat Cheese With Red Cherries, and Whiskey and Pecans, you can impress and delight someone for as little as $12.
BrookstoneHere's a gift a whole family can love: A digital wireless weather station for kids (Brookstone, $34.99)! The screen shows the time, the temperature inside and out, and best of all, little Oscar there wears one of seven different outfits, based on the temperature outside. I don't know about you, but my kids are always arguing with me about whether they need a jacket/coat/gloves/hat/raincoat. This pretty much eliminates that argument, AND makes getting dressed each morning a little more exciting.

Now it's your turn. What are your go-to gifts?

What's your favorite gift that you've ever gotten? Share the details in the comments!

Replies

• meam4444
    December 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM

My go-to gifts are either a box of Godiva chocolates or gift cards.  Everyone loves them both!  :)

• Mama406
    by Mama406
    December 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Photo gifts are a great go-to gift.  Generally not to expensive, but a nice personal touch.  Handmade soaps too.  Always giftcards.

My favorite gift that I ever got...I would have to say dd.  She was born on Christmas Eve!  As far as something wrapped in paper...a nativity set.  My parents got large nativity sets for each of their children.  Each one was different to reflect all of our personal styles and personalities.  They gave us each several pieces every Christmas over two or three years.  It's a gift that I will continue to use the rest of my life and something that I can share with my children for years.  I always used to admire my Mom's nativity, and now I get to watch my daughter admiring mine.

• Rachel0610
    December 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

My go to gifts are always gift cards they are easy and since you can get them to pretty much every where they work out great

Iowa Moms