Iowa Moms

Wendy10Robinson
Can A Father Be Forced to Take His Kids to Jail?
October 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Tracy Richter is a mother. She has two children, ages 12 and 14, that she apparently has a "positive" relationship with.

Tracy Richter is also a convicted murderer who is serving a sentence in the Mitchellville women's prison for the 2001 execution style killing of a young man.

And she wants to see her children and a judge has ordered the father of her children to bring the children from California to Iowa three times a year to visit her while she is in the process of appealing her conviction. The father, who is from Australia, has also been barred from returning to his native country until the appeal process is completed.

The father, Michael Roberts, has now filed his own appeal so that he wouldn't have to bring the children, who were in the home when the killing happened, to visit their mother in jail.

I have to say, I'm on the side of the father on this one. I can understand why Tracy Richter would want to see her kids but I think that she lost the right to make decisions about their life when she plotted to kill someone. The article doesn't mention if the children want to see her or not. One hopes they are getting some counseling either way.

What do you think? Does Tracy Richter still have a right to see her kids? Should the children's father be forced to take them to visit her in jail?

Šistockphoto.com/Scott Sharick

Replies

• meam4444
    October 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I don't know the full story on this, but I wonder why the judge made such an order.  Based off of this article, I would say, he shouldn't have to bring them.  But, again, I wonder how the judge made this decision.

• easinpc
    by easinpc
    October 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I read this article a while ago when the judge first issued his ruling. I do not think that any parent should be forced to take their child(ren) to jail to see the other parent.

• Cpdsptchgrl
    October 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    The judge can absolutely require it. That said, based on the info here I think the judge is very much out of line.

Iowa Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN