Iowa Moms

Wendy10Robinson
On Losing Our Religion
October 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

A new Pew research survey has found that the fast growing "religion" in America is no religion at all.

According to the survey one in five Americans doesn't consider themselves affiliated with any religion at all and the rate of the unaffiliated is growing faster among young people.

Now, it is important to note that not being affiliated with a particular religion isn't the same as being an atheist or agnostic. In fact, of the 35 million that have no formal religious affiliation, only 13 million describe themselves as an atheist or agnostic. The rest might believe in God, or a higher power or describe themselves as being more spiritual than religious.

I don't know where I would fall in this study. I grew up in a very religious home (we went to chuch twice on Sundays and usually during the week for some activity), I went to a Christian college, and I was very actively attending a non-denominational mega-church when my husband and I met (though I was already starting to struggle with the fact that the church had exclusionary stances on homosexuality that I can no longer abide).

My husband was raised Catholic and was quite devout but struggles with the Church's stance on birth control and the role of women. He is still interested in faith and I usually describe him as a former Catholic with Quaker and Buddhist leanings.

We've never really found a church that fits us both and has the progressive values we are looking for and so now we are mostly Christmas and Easter attendees. Sometimes I wish we did have a church, sometimes I don't care that we don't.

Have your religious values changed since you were a child? Is raising your child with a particular faith important to you?

©istockphoto.com/Vernon Wiley

Replies

• FrogSalad
    October 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Quote:

Have your religious values changed since you were a child? Is raising your child with a particular faith important to you?

My parents were never church-going while we were young.  They took a hands-off approach to teaching us about religion figuring we'd find out own way as we grew.  I experimented with Christianity as a teenager, but it wasn't a good fit; it never made sense to me.  Finally, in my 20s I realized I didn't believe that there are any gods out there.

While I don't mind my son exploring his spiritual options, I have grave reservations about letting him attend the hellfire-and-brimstone denominations that are so prevalent in our area, at least until he gains more maturity.  We have attended the Unitarian church in Iowa City a couple of times and we both enjoyed it, but it's a long way to drive on a weekly basis.

• FootballFan12
    October 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

My faith and values have pretty much remained the same.

I raised mychildren the same way. My oldest is beginning to question things though. I will help him in whatever way I can. Whether it is to answer his questions or help him to find the answers if he chooses to look outside our faith.

Iowa Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts