Iowa Moms

FootballFan12
15 Arrests and over 100 Citations at Iowa State - Iowa game
September 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

More than 100 cited around Kinnick Stadium Saturday

Number of arrests similar to 2010 contest

Iowa-Iowa State Kinnick fans

Iowa fans cheer on their team during the first half of their college football game against Iowa State Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. (Brian Ray/The Gazette)

In the third football season of stricter alcohol guidelines in place around Kinnick Stadium, police cited more than 100 people on Saturday for various violations related to the annual Iowa State-Iowa football game.

The University of Iowa Public Safety Department reported a total of 140 violations, plus fifteen people taken to the Johnson County Jail under varying circumstances.

The breakdown for the citations:

• 117 for open container in public
  • 22 PAULA (possession of alcohol under the legal age) citations
  • 1 for open container in a motor vehicle

Two years ago, at the last Iowa State-Iowa game at Kinnick, law enforcement reported a similar amount of citations issued.  Both the 2010 and 2012 contests were at the later 2:30 p.m. kickoff time.

Some of the more noteworthy arrests:

• An 18-year-old Illinois man was wearing a “yellow security jacket” and standing on the sideline at Kinnick Stadium, attempting to appear as if “he was working on behalf” of the university.  Public safety officials reported the man’s alcohol level was recorded at .144.
  • A 35-year-old man from Lost Nation was in the 200 block of East Washington Street at around 5 p.m.  when  an officer observed the man and a female “shoving each other”.  The report says the man then jumped in front of the officer’s squad car and said “take me to jail.”  The man refused a blood alcohol test.

***as reported in The Gazette ***

Did any of our Iowa Moms attend the game?

Replies

• easinpc
    by easinpc
    September 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I did not attend the game.

• June10mom
    September 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

No, I just watched on TV. I haven't tailgated there in years and I'm surprised I was never cited for anything the times that I did. I stay away from there now b/c the alcohol intake gets way out of control!

• meam4444
    September 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I didn't attend.  I know college games can get rowdy!

• king04
    by king04
    September 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That was horrible I did not attend but my daughter had inpatient chemo on Saturday and I had to take her up there it took almost 30 mins to get around and park to go into the hospital

• haysyd
    by haysyd
    September 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    No we watched the game at the crome horse in c.r.
  • mom_to_travis
    September 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

We watched it at our favorite little bar.  I think I'm too old for all the Iowa City craziness!

• Melissa_anne
    September 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I didn't go because i am not a football fan, but my neice went, her boyfriend goes to Iowa.  I haven't talked to her yet about how it was there but i will probably today or tomorrow

• Rachel0610
    September 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I did not attend the game however all this happening doesn't surprise me

Iowa Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts