Number of arrests similar to 2010 contest
In the third football season of stricter alcohol guidelines in place around Kinnick Stadium, police cited more than 100 people on Saturday for various violations related to the annual Iowa State-Iowa football game.
The University of Iowa Public Safety Department reported a total of 140 violations, plus fifteen people taken to the Johnson County Jail under varying circumstances.
The breakdown for the citations:
- 117 for open container in public
- 22 PAULA (possession of alcohol under the legal age) citations
- 1 for open container in a motor vehicle
Two years ago, at the last Iowa State-Iowa game at Kinnick, law enforcement reported a similar amount of citations issued. Both the 2010 and 2012 contests were at the later 2:30 p.m. kickoff time.
Some of the more noteworthy arrests:
- An 18-year-old Illinois man was wearing a “yellow security jacket” and standing on the sideline at Kinnick Stadium, attempting to appear as if “he was working on behalf” of the university. Public safety officials reported the man’s alcohol level was recorded at .144.
- A 35-year-old man from Lost Nation was in the 200 block of East Washington Street at around 5 p.m. when an officer observed the man and a female “shoving each other”. The report says the man then jumped in front of the officer’s squad car and said “take me to jail.” The man refused a blood alcohol test.
***as reported in The Gazette ***
Did any of our Iowa Moms attend the game?