Florida Moms

stephwest1
Governor Scott says yes to healthcare talks
November 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I know you ladies might be sick of hearing about this topic, but after being critical I have to give credit where credit is due. And I give credit to Governor Scott for being willing to talk about the coming healthcare changes. (I also want to offer condolences because his mother died yesterday.)

Scott said that “he now wants to negotiate with the federal government. He said it's time for Republicans to offer solutions to help families...”1

Willingness to work together to reach the best solution for everyone! Love it.

Florida has not made any moves to set up exchanges yet and the deadline to notify Federal Authorities is Friday. However, an extension has been granted until mid-December for states to set up a plan.

States have 3 options: “running their own exchanges, operating an exchange in partnership with the federal health officials, or letting the feds handle everything.” Exchanges are a marketplace where individuals and smalls businesses can shop for the most affordable coverage.2  

Governor Scott is still concerned about the cost of running the exchanges and whether it would raise healthcare costs for families but he said he's sure federal officials want to find ways to provide affordable health care to people.

Advocates who favor expanding the Medicaid rolls say it will save money in the long run by deterring people from emergency rooms - the most expensive, least effective place to treat people.3

I won’t even begin to pretend that I know a lot about this subject, but I tend to think it would be good for Florida to set up our own plan.

Do you have an opinion on this? Are you encouraged or discouraged by the Governor’s change of heart?

©iStockphoto.com/Andrei Männik

Replies

• TAG_ur_it
    November 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

this might be the first reasonable thing Rick Scott has done the entire time he's been in office.  I can't stand the guy but if he's actually going to do something useful then maybe his term won't be a complete waste.

• MamaBear2cubs
    November 14, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Interesting

• RLSMOM59
    November 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The Governor has no choice but to accept it. Not all the things in the Health Care bill are bad. It gives people with existing conditions the right to insurance. It allows parents to keep children until the age of 26. Most children in college have no insurance after 21 and then have a large expense in case of an emergency. 

The downside of the HealthCare bill is it does not address how the new changes will be paid for. The people who drafted the bill have overlooked many of the concerns of the doctors. I just found out that a person can sue a doctor for no apparent reason, drag it through court for several years, ruin the doctor's reputation and practice , then drop all charges. The doctor has no recourse in the matter. The doctor is just ablout bankrupt but it doesn't matter.

I also found out many people are using the emergency room for routine medical checks because they have no insurance. Most hospital have to see a patient regardless of their ability to pay. A over the counter pregnacy test is about 20 bucks or less but the person will go to the ER = way over 20 bucks.

The bill requires employers to make insurance available to the employees. It does not say the employer has to pay for it but the employer has to give the employees options. Like anything we will not like everything in it but for the most part many people will have access to better care.

That's my 4 cents.

• TAG_ur_it
    November 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

actually you can get a pregnancy test for $1 in several different places and walmart has mulipacks for under $10.  idk where you buy yours, but you're overpaying. 

• KylesMom409
    November 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    This!

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

this might be the first reasonable thing Rick Scott has done the entire time he's been in office.  I can't stand the guy but if he's actually going to do something useful then maybe his term won't be a complete waste.

• strictmomhere
    Nan
    November 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Ok;)
  • LadyBast
    November 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It is about time he get with the plan and stop cutting stuff, it is bad when my disabled daughter cannot get ANY eye drops for her allergies in her eyes, the system sucks here and they better fix it soon!

Florida Moms