Florida Moms

iluv2read
Do you think Americans are dependent and looking for a handout or are we strong and responsible?
September 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Do you think Americans are dependent and looking for a handout as Romney said earlier, or do you agree with VP Biden about the strength and responsibility of the American people?

In Florida, Biden says he doesn't recognize Romney's America

By TAMARA LUSH - Associated Press

BidenVice President Joe Biden visits with patrons Julie Holcom, right, and her daughters Emily and Amanda at Mel's Diner in Fort Myers, Fla., Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012. Biden has been making his pitch to re-elect President Barack Obama in Florida. (AP Photo/The News-Press, ) Amanda Inscore — AP

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/09/30/4219962/in-florida-biden-says-he-doesnt.html#storylink=cpy
FORT MYERS -- President Barack Obama had been on the job less than a week when a top economic adviser told him and Vice President Joe Biden that the country faced a trillion dollar deficit, Biden told a roomful of Florida supporters Saturday.

Obama replied, "But I haven't done anything yet," Biden recalled.

The mammoth deficit landed in Obama's lap, Biden said, because former President George W. Bush "put two wars on a credit card," and gave tax cuts to the wealthy.

Not long after getting the grim news about the deficit in 2009, the Obama White House said the country faced a long and painful financial recovery, even with major government intervention to stimulate the economy and save financial institutions.

The economy has been on voters' minds across the country, but especially in Fort Myers, located in a county that's suffered among the most foreclosures per capita in the country....

Biden also continued to hammer Romney on a leaked video in which Romney described 47 percent of Americans as people who pay no federal income tax and "believe that they are victims."

Biden said that Romney's running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan, also talked about similar themes in "Young Guns," the book he co-authored.

"When they talk about the culture of dependency, I don't recognize the country they're talking about," said Biden.

"The American people are so much better, so much stronger, take so much more responsibility than these guys give them credit for."

Replies

• celestegood
    October 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    I understand what you are saying. And its sad that anyone is suffering. Everyone need a bit of help from time to time

Quoting LadyBast:

I think this post is wrong, we all work our butts off and still cannot get enough but we  cannot get help either so what does that make us...  We can help other countries but not our own when we need it. Not everyone has what a lot of us do or take for granted.... That is what I hate people looking down on you b/c you do have a new car or whatever.. Sorry small vent here!

• celestegood
    October 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    LMFAO that's the irony here!

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I love this idea of his that we should pay for it but not use it.  Uh, I'm sure he takes every tax break he has coming to him!

• IsaiahsMommy622
    October 4, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I think there are alot of Americans who are dependent and looking for a handout, but there are also lots that a strong, hardworking and responsible. And those who are looking for a handout bother me, because us hard working Americans don't get any kind of help when trouble arises, if I can't afford food I get the bare neseccites to make sure my children eat, I can't go slide my foodstamp card to pay for it. It bothers me how much they get for free...college (we owe $30k), food, cells, daycare, and I am sure there is more. Not saying everyone who gets help is like that but the majority is.

• lukee
    by lukee
    October 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM

sadly there are those that use the system and no matter what the rules they will find an advantage for them in it. I think using the 47% figure was using a broad brush and if some of those are hard working and using the breaks available to them when filing their taxes, then they are doing no more than has been told is a responsible action--paying no more than they have to, all that is legally required.

• bubsteroni
    October 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This is exaclty what I was thinking.  People are all different, and not all expect a handout, but not everyone is a hardworking, productive member of society either.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I think lumping all Americans into one category is very naive. There are hard working Americans and there are some who rely on government handouts as a lifestyle choice. 

While I agree that a portion of the population does in fact rely on a culture of dependence I think the number 47% shows a gross misunderstanding of the economy and the lifestyle of the average American. 

• DesireMM
    October 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

To me, there will always be those that take advantage and those that don't. I have one friend who both her and her boyfriend are not working and will not get up and look for a job. Yet they use assistance to put their son in daycare and get food stamps. On the otherside, I have a friend that sold her car instead of getting help from the government. Everyone is different.

• mom2jessnky
    October 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I think lumping all Americans into one category is very naive. There are hard working Americans and there are some who rely on government handouts as a lifestyle choice. 

While I agree that a portion of the population does in fact rely on a culture of dependence I think the number 47% shows a gross misunderstanding of the economy and the lifestyle of the average American. 

Well said I agree.
  • arpazia
    by arpazia
    October 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    Lol!!! Oh it really is: O

Quoting celestegood:

LMFAO that's the irony here!

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I love this idea of his that we should pay for it but not use it.  Uh, I'm sure he takes every tax break he has coming to him!

Florida Moms