New Hampshire Moms

Karen_Dover
Many of Romney's Debate Claims Do Not Pass Fact-Checking Muster
October 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM

After the Presidential debate on Wednesday, a lot of the claims both of the candidates made were inspected and checked for accuracy, and while President Obama is not perfect, it was Mitt Romney's claims that really stood out as inaccurate.

For example, Mitt Romney claimed that his tax plan involved cutting taxes by 20% across all tax brackets, and off-setting those cuts by closing corporate loopholes and high-income deductions. President Obama pointed out, and it was confirmed by nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, that the closing of loopholes and high-income deductions would never cover the 20% tax cuts he was proposing, and that the money would then have to be collected by perhaps closing deductions for middle-class families.

Another false claim was that the $716 billion that is being cut from Medicare is taking benefits from Medicare beneficiaries, when in fact the money is being cut from the wasteful Medicare Advantage programs and from payments to hospitals (which hospitals have already said is fine since the mandate will ensure more of their patients can actually pay for services). No benefits will be cut, as they are guaranteed by law. Romney also insinuated that the Independent Patient Advisory Board was a "death panel" which would pick and choose who received which services, when the board is actually an oversight committee charged with keeping Medicare spending in check, NOT rationing care.

To be fair, President Obama was inaccurate in stating that health care premiums are rising at historically slow rates, which isn't true. Apparently, what he should have said was that health care spending is rising slower than at any other time. I still have hopes for that premium decrease, though, since the insurance mandate hasn't been implemented yet and that is what will truly affect our rates.

Did you watch the debates? What did you think?

Šistockphoto.com/gioadventures

Replies

• ssminnow
    October 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I watched them and was surprised by both of their performances.

• mom_to_travis
    October 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Mitt Romney's tax plan is a fairy tale.  It's mathematically impossible to make the tax cuts he's promising without that money coming from SOMEWHERE (simply closing the loopholes won't cut it).   He's on record as being opposed to raising taxes on the very wealthy, so I guess we have to assume the middle class would pick up the tab, as usual.

The LIE about the $716 billions in savings from the Medicare cuts really makes me sick. 
    IT. IS. A. LIE. 

We are saving $716 billion (just take a minute and digest that number) by eliminating wasteful spending.  This is a good thing, not a bad thing.  romney is a LIAR. 

And death panels?  Really?  He's pulling a Sarah Palin?   This guy is a complete embarrassment.

• ckroch
    by ckroch
    October 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    So how's the weather?? Lol. So sick of politics.
  • mom2jessnky
    October 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Word

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Mitt Romney's tax plan is a fairy tale.  It's mathematically impossible to make the tax cuts he's promising without that money coming from SOMEWHERE (simply closing the loopholes won't cut it).   He's on record as being opposed to raising taxes on the very wealthy, so I guess we have to assume the middle class would pick up the tab, as usual.

The LIE about the $716 billions in savings from the Medicare cuts really makes me sick. 
    IT. IS. A. LIE. 

We are saving $716 billion (just take a minute and digest that number) by eliminating wasteful spending.  This is a good thing, not a bad thing.  romney is a LIAR. 

And death panels?  Really?  He's pulling a Sarah Palin?   This guy is a complete embarrassment.

• celestegood
    October 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Same here.

Quoting ssminnow:

I watched them and was surprised by both of their performances.

• celestegood
    October 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    The funny part was that Obama actually told him this-It has to come from somewhere, you can't do that without either causing a deficit or increasing taxes.
    LOL

Quoting mom_to_travis:

IT. IS. A. LIE. 

• celestegood
    October 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    LMFAO great. Kind of cold, tonight will get down to thirty five.

Quoting ckroch:

So how's the weather?? Lol. So sick of politics.
  • celestegood
    It is!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Word

Quoting mom_to_travis:

IT. IS. A. LIE. 

• celestegood
    Sounds to me like this man just pulls what he says out of his butt.
  • arpazia
    by arpazia
    October 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Hehe so Romney has the hope campaign;)
    Hope whatever I say is good:D

(Couldn't help myself)

New Hampshire Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to