Pennsylvania Moms

Moniker
IEP's and options ? New to PA
by Moniker
October 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I'll be moving to PA in a few weeks. I currently live in FL and my son has an IEP. In Fl every child with an IEP is eligible for a scholarship program that has a public or private option. The public option allows you to choose any public school to send your child to ( parent may be responsible for transportation) or the private option to get a dollar amount that the public school would get to provide services for your child , it varies depending on dx, and apply that for tuition at participating private schools. I would say all private schools participate. 

Any chance there is something similar in PA? Even if there is no private option, do you get to choose a school in your district? Is it difficult to get a variance, for a kid to attend a school you're not zoned for? 

Replies

• Moniker
    by Moniker
    October 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I have been told our soon to be school, is an open concept school. I had never heard of this. It means the inside of the school is open, no classroom dividers , no walls. That sounds like a huge, distracting, noisy mess to me. I just can't fathom how a district can force children who have ADD or are on the austism spectrum to attend such a school. My son has done very well in general ed classrooms.  His needs are relatively low, he is very lucky. However he can be easily distracted and this situation has me irritated already. Sorry for venting. 

• SahmTam
    by SahmTam
    October 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Quoting Moniker:

I have been told our soon to be school, is an open concept school. I had never heard of this. It means the inside of the school is open, no classroom dividers , no walls. That sounds like a huge, distracting, noisy mess to me. I just can't fathom how a district can force children who have ADD or are on the austism spectrum to attend such a school. My son has done very well in general ed classrooms.  His needs are relatively low, he is very lucky. However he can be easily distracted and this situation has me irritated already. Sorry for venting. 

Ugh, that sounds awful! I'm picturing my own son (who is on the autism spectrum) trying to concentrate or learn anything- yeah, it wouldn't happen. My SIL said my nieces were in a school like that (the youngest is now in high school and this was when they were in elementary school). In their case it was just all of the classes in a grade together and not the entire school, but it still sounded ridiculously chaotic. They would have like 3 teachers teaching at once and you could hear all of them. I don't know who came up with the idea that that could ever work, but really? How dumb. As an adult with no issues like autism/ADD/etc. I wouldn't be able to concentrate hearing 3 people talking about different things at once.

I hope you have luck getting him into a different school! Sorry, I have no advice on how to go about getting that done, though.

• MichelleMc
    October 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting Moniker:

Ok, I am not add, adhd or autistic of any sort, I can not IMAGINE that disaster! Who in the world came up with that idea?! I would be a mess trying to learn in that?!?!?!?!

Pennsylvania Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN