Girls Unstoppable

KymberleeAnn
Tantrum Alert, Tantrum Alert on aisle 5
October 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

You see a young mom with a 3 1/2 y/o having a mind blowing tantrum in the toy store what do you do; Do you try to help the seemingly overwhelmed, inexperienced mom out, or do you look the other way and myob?

Replies

• KaylaMillar
    October 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I try to mind my own buisness. I hate when people give me unwanted advice so i try to respect others. =)

• sjk_maybe_mom
    October 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

myob She knows her child best.  That said, I've been known to drop everything and leave a store with my kids if either of them blows up.

• iamfreeatlast
    October 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

MYOB.  We have all been there.  Now I have stepped in once.  The mom was crying and the kid was throwing a tantrum and I felt sorry for her.  I just went over and talked to the kid trying to get him to smile or something.  When I walked up and asked what is all the fuss about he looked at me like who are you.  lol  I just talked to him for a second and seen she kinda relaxed and then I went on. 

• SlightlyPerfect
    October 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I'd get in there if the mom's behavior seemed to be acting as a catalyst for the kid's misbehavior. Like, if her response was exacerbating the issue, I'd step in to calm the child down and give her a second to get it together.

I'd learned to do that pretty well when I was teaching in an inner-city high school. A lot of the issues between students and teachers could be resolved if the teacher just handled it right. The trick was to figuring out the "right" way. Yeah, we expect a student to respect a teacher, but when he/she doesn't or when he/she is just having an emotional breakdown and not thinking rationally, the teacher has an opportunity there to produce a real teachable moment. That's how I try to handle my 3-year-old.

• KymberleeAnn
    October 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I would do the same thing.  I remember once I was on public transportation any my ds had a unexplainable melt down, I got off way before my stop to work in calming my child down so as not to disrupt everyone else's ride.  But I sometime try to help mom's in distress but they seem annoyed by my help so I just do my best to stay out of other peoples business.

Quoting sjk_maybe_mom:

myob She knows her child best.  That said, I've been known to drop everything and leave a store with my kids if either of them blows up.

• Reannen8607
    November 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    I would myob. I don't like it when other people say stuff to me

Girls Unstoppable

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN