SweetLuci
Confidence
October 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Are you confident? Is your daughter?

Replies

• SlightlyPerfect
    October 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yes, we both are.

But confidence is skills-based, is honesty-driven, and varies, so (for me; DD is only 3) while my level of confidence changes based on my assessment of any present stimuli, the confidence I have in myself and ability to reason and think is steady and stable. But I think one could make the argument for that actually being self-esteem and not confidence.

• slw123
    by slw123
    October 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yes, I think we both are.

• elasmimi
    October 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I am confident about some things, others not so much. My 6 y/o thinks she can do anything!

• LOswald0314
    October 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Mostly, yes.  My DD is only 16 months but I'll do my best to make her confident.

• JoJoBean8
    October 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

My dd is definitely confident. Some days I am and other days I am full of self doubt. 

• copperswifey
    October 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I am not the most confident person. I have one daughter that is very confident and the other one is more reserved :)

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    October 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I am most of the time, sometimes I think she is over confident.  I think she will be a strong leader one day.

• mommythree0508
    October 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Quoting slw123:

Yes, I think we both are.

• .Angelica.
    October 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM

i am not as confident as i should be. and my dd is 9 months.

• SweetLuci
    October 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I think many people use the two terms interchangeably, but my understanding of the terms if that self-esteem refers to how you feel about yourself overall; how much esteem, positive regard or self-love you have. Self-esteem develops from experiences and situations that have shaped how you view yourself today. Self-confidence is how you feel about your abilities and can vary from situation to situation. I may have healthy self-esteem, but low confidence about situations involving  physical endurance.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Yes, we both are.

But confidence is skills-based, is honesty-driven, and varies, so (for me; DD is only 3) while my level of confidence changes based on my assessment of any present stimuli, the confidence I have in myself and ability to reason and think is steady and stable. But I think one could make the argument for that actually being self-esteem and not confidence.

Girls Unstoppable