Johnny Cash sang famously about a "Boy Named Sue," and while it seems that things have changed a bit, it's still not always easy for a boy with a "girl's" name. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't give them. The fact is: sometimes a "girl's name" is just better on a boy.
My son Alan shares his name with a girl, and while I like it on her, I must say, I prefer it on my little man. I think a name like Sam (my daughter's name) is probably equally good on a girl or a boy, but a name like Avery is just better on a boy.
Obviously, these are my opinions, but here are 15 "girl" names that sound much better on a boy:
- Ashley: In Gone With the Wind, the object of Scarlett O'Hara's love is Ashley Wilkes (try to avoid a Southern accent when saying that, I dare you), and while it has become a "girl's" name in recent years, I still far prefer it for a boy. Also, it's my dad's name.
- Aaron: Obviously the girl's name is spelled Erin, but I still prefer this name on a boy.
- Loren: Again, this is one where the name is spelled differently for a girl. But I happen to think it's a really neat name for a boy.
- Adrian: I love this name on both boys and girls, but I think it should be used more for boys.
- Andy: Pretty in Pink made me love this on a girl. But generally I think it's a better name for a boy.
- Finley: This is just adorable on a boy. I wouldn't like it nearly as much on a girl.
- Gray: This works well on a boy. Not so much on a female.
- Greer: This seems way more masculine to me.
- Kevin: I have only known one girl named Kevin, but I think even she would have said it's a better boy name.
- Phoenix: Hippy? Yes. But also really nice.
- Sage: Again with the crunchy! Sorry, but I love this male name.
- Vick: I can't imagine this working too well on a female. But I love it on a boy.
- Ryan: This IS a boy name. Period. Is nothing sacred?
- Ellis: Boy's name. Period.
- Alex: I have to give the slight edge to boys named Alex, though I do think it works on either sex.
What "girl" name do you like on boys?
by funhappymomSeptember 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I think there are too many gender neutral names. I prefer gender specific names personally.
September 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I can say I don't think Kevin would sound good on a girl at all...yuck!
I love Phoenix, and Ryan those are cute.
September 28, 2012 at 12:39 PMRyan
by .Angelica.September 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM
i can't think of any.
by meglennoxSeptember 28, 2012 at 7:43 PMYeah, that had me scratching my gead too...
I can't imagine why someone would name their girl Kevin......