Girls Unstoppable

CafeMom Team
UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you help your daughter reach her full potential?
May 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

As part of the CafeMom Influencer Program for Dove, we asked moms of girls 8-18 to spend some quality time together doing fun mom-daughter activities.*

Check out some of the great footage of our influencer moms and their daughters.

Then, read what our moms are saying about their experiences and tell us what you're doing to help your daughter reach her full potential.

*For a full list of the activities and to learn more about sparking positive discussion, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• CafeMom Team
    May 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Here are what some of our influencer moms are saying: 

fantasticfour says:
    I taught them how to skate backwards, "rubber leg" and the chicken dance on skates.  The girls had a blast learning all these things and it's like I all of a sudden became "cool" to them.

Maries_Mom23 says:
    My oldest daughter is 8 and has been going through a very rough time lately. We spend a lot of time talking about it and about how everything makes her feel.

mumsy2three says:
    One of the most important things that I have always stressed to her is to use her voice. You can be mad, sad, happy, whatever but I think it's important learn how to communicate and express yourself to others.

hayliedlr says:
    We as a family stand strong and connected and and do many activities together.  We don't do anything extraordinary but just going for a walk and talking.  We talk about school, friends, school activities even their hopes and ambitions.

• KaylaMillar
    May 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Can't wait to hear what these moms have to say :-)
  • fantasticfour
    May 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM

My daughters are 12 and 14 and we have a very close relationship.  Granted there is the horrible "I don't knows" and "MOOOOOMMMM!!" in there but for the most part we are close and have a good time.  I hope this relationship grows into a beautiful friendship once they are grown up and have families of their own.  We have always been close and although I wish they weren't typical teenagers I do love my relationship with them.

We did a couple of activities together this week.  We went rollerskating on Tuesday and had a blast.  They weren't aware I could rollerskate better than they can.  We went during the week when it wasn't crowded and they learned I used to rollerskate competitively.  We had a blast and I taught them how to skate backwards, "rubber leg" and the chicken dance on skates.  The girls had a blast learning all these things and it's like I all of a sudden became "cool" to them.  I thought it was fun and they spent the evening discussing all the things I knew and can't wait for me to go skating with their friends so I can teach them too!

The other thing we did was plan a pool party.  I gave them a budget and a sales paper and they picked out what kind of food and drink they wanted.  Then we got on the computer for the flyers and came up with an awesome design.  I have to say, with all my computer courses in college, they know much more about how Word works than I do!  I learned some interesting things there.  They passed them out and are very proud of the acomplishments that they have done.   We went shopping for it tonight and it's all we talked about.

Do I consider myself a good role model for my daughters?  Absolutely.  I am trying to be the woman I hope they surpass.  I say that because every parent wants their child to be better than they are, have more, and enjoy life more.  I've learned some hard lessons in my life, and I hope I can teach them how to get past it.

• 2and2onway
    May 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM

My daughter, Briana, is almost 11. She is the most amazing young lady. She is my heart and soul. We do so much together, but her favorite thing to do is go grocery shopping, just the two of us. I make it very special since we only grocery shop once a month. I take her out to breakfast at the local pancake house and then we ride to the city to shop. It takes about 2 hrs. During that time we talk, joke and have a great time. It may not seem like much, but for my dd it is special.

• chris13
    by chris13
    May 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

my sisters, my sister-in -law, my girls and i went and did pedicures together. just hung out together, gossiped, and just generally had a girls evening out.  

• Maries_Mom23
    May 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

My oldest daughter is 8 and has been going through a very rough time lately.  She has a thyroid condition that is basically making her hit puberty early and she's not dealing with it well.  We spend a lot of time talking about it and about how everything makes her feel, etc.

This past week, we waited until her 5 year old sister was asleep and done mani/pedis together, had popcorn and chatted about everything from marbles (her new obsession) to sewing to her upcoming swimming lessons.  I also learned she has some fears of entering 3rd grade in August.

I love spending time with her alone and need more time to do so! :)

• birdiemom
    May 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I have a 12 year old daughter, and we tried to spend as much of the weekend together as we could. We can't always have alone time because I have a 3 month old baby and sometimes it's hard to get out just the 2 of us, but that doesn't mean we can't try something fun. We went out for lunch (her choice), swim suit shopping (because we'll need that for a later activity), and then to the nail salon.

We went "swimming" later that day in the sprinkler- BURR!! I haven't done that in years! But it was fun running through the sprinkler and splashing each other. It was something small, but it was nice to focus just on her for the day, and I could tell she really appreciated my effort. I have been trying to do little days like this since we found out we were expecting her little brother this time last year.

I think that I'm a good role model for her because I know what's important for my family, sometimes the cleaning gets pushed aside so that everyone gets special time to feel loved and special.

• mumsy2three
    May 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

My dd is 18. She will be graduating from high school on June 5th. My dd and I have a very good relationship. She has always felt comfortable to come to me about anything and everything. I think that I have been a strong and positive role model for her through the years. One of the most important things that I have always stressed to her is to use her voice. You can be mad, sad, happy, whatever but I think it's important learn how to communicate and express yourself to others.

One of our favorite activities to do together is Yoga. We use that time to chat or joke around. Whether we are indoors or outdoors we use that time to strengthen our minds, bodies and find balance. 

The most recent activity my dd and I did together was go shopping. We had a girls day out at the local outlet mall. It's nice to have a day together without the boys. We shopped, talked and laughed while we were there.

I asked my dd to name 5 things she liked/admired about me then I told her 5 things that I admired about her. Our list is below

Aly said I am: honest, upfront, easy going, there for her and skinny. I had to laugh out loud about the "skinny", she said what I'm glad I don't have a heavy mom I have a healthy one.

I said Aly is: caring, has a good sense of humor, is trustworthy, intelligent, and easy going.

• Leeshamak
    May 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

My Eldest daughter is 8 going 28;) She is already a pretty strong individual, but I want her to stay that way! So, for our activity, we participated in a cancer walk at a beach near us. It was so nice to hang out together and get some excercise and some sunshine. It didn't hurt that it was for a great cause! We chatted as we walked. It makes me so excited to see her grow up! She's turning out to be a lovely young lady. We were almost dead last in the cancer walk because of all of our lollygagging;) but we had a lot of fun while walking. After the walk, we walked on the beach and enjoyed looking for seashells. She also told me what she loved about me. And I got to tell her what I love about her~ it was cute because even thopugh she was holding a camera, she forgot to hold it at me cuz she was so flattered;) For our second activity, we jump roped for each other. She looooves to jump rope! And I remember that I loved it as a kid too~ I told her about how I won a medal at my school for jump roping and she was impressed! hehe~

Our 3rd activity was writing thank you notes to each other. I absolutely loved my thank you note~ it said "thank you for all the puffles and angry birds and for showing me how to work the tv. And for always taking care of me" It was adorable~ I will treasure it:) I strongly recommend writing thank you notes to each other~ even if its a basic one;) we really enjoyed this activity and I will always treasure my note... I put her note to me on the fridge and she put my note to her on her bedroom door. What a special memory that was:)

In conclusion, I hope that I'm able to build my girls into strong women. I hope to keep being active with her and letting her realize her dreams~ no matter how big~ it's possible!

• kirbymom
    May 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My Daughter and Me ........ Beauty All Around You

Sapphire, my oldest, is 16 years old.  Our relationship is  pretty good but there  could be improvements. Mostly on my part. lol 

She has shown me so many things about myself that I wouldn't/couldn't have
    learned from anyone else or anywhere else.  
     I would like for our relationship to be in tune to each other more than what we
    have now. But all in all, we love each other very strongly. .
     We went to the park together and took pictures of the things we both like and
    like to do. We searched for just the right song to put with the video she made of the pictures that were taken and we found that we like some of the same songs through searching for the perfect song for that video. 
     She saw the two of us as a mom and daughter going out and having that
    mother daughter closeness of doing a project together. Spending that one on one time with no interruptions and having a great time being close, she wishes we could do that all the time. 

I would like to think I am a good role model but in reality, I know that I made/make some mistakes and couldn't/can't go back and redo any of them. So, I just tried/try to go from where we left/leave off with a better mind set and attitude. And pray that I don't make the same mistakes again.  She is definitely growing into  a beautiful young woman and I am proud she is my daughter.

So, here is the video that we put together......... We hope you like it.  Its titled...

For All You Girls

Girls Unstoppable

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN