JennMcBride
Anyone make bread?
August 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Ive made it quite a few times but my dh didn't like it because its kinda coarse. Any tips for me?

Replies

• michiganmom116
    August 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I used to make all of our bread needs....loaves, rolls, pita, tortillas, bagels, etc.

Do you use bread flour?

What's the recipe you use?

• johnny4ever
    August 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Nope

• JennMcBride
    August 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    I use an old family recipe its really simple. I've not used bread flour before. My mom says she doesn't think I kneaded it enough.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I used to make all of our bread needs....loaves, rolls, pita, tortillas, bagels, etc.

Do you use bread flour?

What's the recipe you use?

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    August 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Bread flour gives a smoother crumb, (texture) and try milk instead of water. Good kneading is important to push the air bubbles out. I like the free Allrecipes app and I make all my dough in a food processor. Look at a few you tube videos to get a feeling for how to knead. The ball of dough will look and feel smooth and satiny. If you poke the dough with your fingertip and the poke hole stays, it's double in bulk. I use canola oil to oil my bowls and a damp cotton towel to cover my dough. I use my oven (off) to raise my bread as it doesn't like drafty places. I love to make different kinds and collect bread cookbooks. It's a relaxing putter in the kitchen and warm up the house project. Often, loaves are eaten before they cool. I use my mini loaf pan a lot, it has 4 small pans in one. Makes it just right for gifting. And if you mess up a batch, roll it out thin, fry it, dust with cinnamon and sugar...yum!

• JennMcBride
    August 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Thank you for all the tips. :)

Quoting suetoo:

Bread flour gives a smoother crumb, (texture) and try milk instead of water. Good kneading is important to push the air bubbles out. I like the free Allrecipes app and I make all my dough in a food processor. Look at a few you tube videos to get a feeling for how to knead. The ball of dough will look and feel smooth and satiny. If you poke the dough with your fingertip and the poke hole stays, it's double in bulk. I use canola oil to oil my bowls and a damp cotton towel to cover my dough. I use my oven (off) to raise my bread as it doesn't like drafty places. I love to make different kinds and collect bread cookbooks. It's a relaxing putter in the kitchen and warm up the house project. Often, loaves are eaten before they cool. I use my mini loaf pan a lot, it has 4 small pans in one. Makes it just right for gifting. And if you mess up a batch, roll it out thin, fry it, dust with cinnamon and sugar...yum!

• michiganmom116
    August 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I agree!

Quoting suetoo:

Bread flour gives a smoother crumb, (texture) and try milk instead of water. Good kneading is important to push the air bubbles out.

• michiganmom116
    August 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Here's our family's favorite white bread recipe. It's soft on the inside and a mixture of chewy/crispy for the crust. You can make it in the bread machine, a large stand mixer with a dough hook or even by hand:

Rice Bread:

• 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
    • 1 1/2 Tbsp. (1 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp.) vegetable or canola oil

Put these two ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup and add enough warm water to make 1 1/2 c. Dump into bread machine pan or mixing bowl.
    Add:

• 2 Tbsp. sugar
    • 2 tsp. salt
    • 3 cups all purpose flour (I've used all purpose or whole wheat, even a mix of both)
    • 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast.

If using a bread machine, set to desired setting and start. I prefer to use the dough cycle then take the dough out and form a loaf, let rise in my bread pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    If using a stand mixer, add the flour last, cup by cup. If mixing by hand I will also add the flour at the last and then knead for 6 to 8 minutes before letting it rise, covered, in a greased bowl. Form into a loaf, let rise in bread pan and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

• michiganmom116
    August 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

^^^it works great with bread flour OR all purpose flour.

• JennMcBride
    August 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    I forgot to say how much I love your picture! :-)

Quoting suetoo:

• LaReina_5
    August 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    I make Challah bread on Friday nights.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN