Cafe Kelly
Summer Cooking Challenge Day 10: Tips for Grilling Meat!
July 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

A great thing about summer cooking is that can you enjoy fresh air while you cook outside on the grill. Sometimes cooking meat on the grill can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be.

Here are some tips for grilling meat:

1. Preheat your grill about 20 minutes before you start cooking to make sure it reaches the right temperature.
  2. Don't put cold meat on the grill. Be sure to let your meat get to room temperature before it goes on the grill.
  3. Flip your burgers and other meats only once during cooking. Usually about 7-9 minutes on each side.
  4. Don't squish your meat! You will drain it of its juices and flavors.
  5. Once your meat is finished on the grill, let it rest on a clean platter for about 10 minutes, tented with foil, so juices can redistribute evenly.
  6. If you are grilling fish, choose fillets that are even in thickness so they cook evenly. Fish can cook really quickly, so keep a close eye on them.
  7. When grilling chicken, use indirect heat for bone-in breasts, legs, or thighs and direct heat for boneless breasts, legs, or thighs.

barbecuing

Are you guilty of over flipping or squishing meat on the grill? Are there any tips for grilling meat that you would add?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

Replies

• wandep
    by wandep
    July 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yes we are but when we use Reynolds Wrap we don't. :)

• Squirrel1309
    July 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I over flip all the time, but my grilled meat is always yummy!

• Lorissa11
    July 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    I may be guilty of squishing hamburger from time to time. I just like to make sure all the jiuce runs clear before taking it off of the grill.
  • kabrooks
    July 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Nope, hubby currently does all the grilling...he does like to flip lots though.

• spelmanmommy
    July 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I am guilty of flipping over or squishing meat.

• Peachy34500
    July 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Hubby does the grilling :) he does a good job!
  • batjmom
    by batjmom
    July 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Not guilty
  • countrygirlkat
    July 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

DH does most all of the grilling but I would like to start learning.

• Pam_8787
    July 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    I think DH over flips but doesn't squish. I also thinks he puts cold food on. Guess I will share these tips with him
  • terri76
    by terri76
    July 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

No squishing...but i am a flipper ha h aha a bad habit..but it is just me!!! LOL