KarenandErnie
My Mom's Chop Suey- Only Healthier
March 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM

American chop suey was a staple in our house growing up. Quick and cheap to make, it's an easy dinner for a large family as ours was. Now that I'm a mom I've decided to put a spin on my mom's amazing chop suey recipe to make it a little bit healthier, with a leaner protein and lots of vegetables. This chop suey is so good it's hard to eat just one bowl.

Ingredients:

1 lb dry penne pasta

1 lb ground chicken

2 tbsp olive oil

1 yellow onion

1 red pepper

3 medium carrots

1 14 oz can diced tomatoes

1 14 oz can tomato soup

Celery salt to taste

Boil a large pot of water, add your pasta. Meanwhile, chop your carrots and add to a pan with oil, let cook over medium by themselves for a few minutes while you chop the onion and red pepper. Add the onion and red pepper to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent and all the vegetables are soft. Set the veggies aside and cook the ground chicken. By now your pasta is probably cooked so drain it and add the cooked chicken and vegetables, stirring to incorporate everything. Drain the diced tomatoes and add it to the pot along with the tomato soup, stirring well again.

Add celery salt to taste. Don't skip the celery salt! It is a magical key ingredient. Feel free to top with a little parmesan cheese as well.

Do you have any recipes for old standards that you've made healthier for your family?

©istockphoto.com/JoeGough

Replies

• Kainalu55
    March 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

we use ground turkey too, haven't really used ground beef in a while!

Quoting natesmom1228:

Yes, I use ground turkey in many recipes that I someone would use beef.

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    March 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

that looks and sounds YUMMY!

• 4kidz916
    March 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I've never had chop suey, but it sounds good.  My mom used to make real southern fried chicken.  I don't make fried foods, but I do make oven fried chicken.

• lalasmama2007
    March 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Sounds good!  We often use chicken in place of beef.

• dusky_rose
    March 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I don't believe that I've ever tried chop suey before. I try to make recipes healthier everyday.

• .Angelica.
    March 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

sounds good

• eustacejessica
    March 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

TFS

• Kimberlynn
    March 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    Looks really good! Thanks for sharing!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups