christina f
Meatloaf Made Easier
March 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Meatloaf again? This might be something that you hear your family say often if you're fond of the traditional meatloaf. But, there are dozens of ways to switch up your regular recipe. For instance, you can use barbeque sauce and French fried onions for a Texas treat. You could use spaghetti sauce instead of regular tomato sauce for an Italian feast. Or in this case you can spice things up with the addition of tangy salsa. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil

2 pounds lean ground beef

2 cups chunky salsa, divided

1 cup crushed tortilla chips

1 cup chopped onion

1 egg

1 teaspoon each chili powder and garlic salt

Prep

PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.

MIX ground beef, 1 cup salsa, tortilla chips, onion, egg and spices together in a large bowl until well blended.

SPOON mixture in center of foil-lined pan; shape into a 12x6-inch loaf.

Cook

BAKE 50 to 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Top with remaining salsa; serve immediately.

REYNOLDS KITCHENS TIP: Leftover meatloaf makes great tacos or sandwiches the next day.

Moms, what's your favorite way to switch up your meatloaf recipe?

Replies

• TheBabyFactory4
    March 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Tfs
  • emilyrosenj
    March 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    Sounds delicious! I stuff mine with roasted peppers and fresh mozzarella.
  • charlene_kyle
    March 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

TFS

• charlene_kyle
    March 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I actually just bought the stuff to make a meatloaf this week.

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    March 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I use stuffing mix

• othermom
    March 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting kellynh:

I use stuffing mix

I will have to try that

• 1Trixie
    by 1Trixie
    March 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

this sounds great, but my meatloaf never sticks together enough to slice. Maybe I should actually use a recipe instead of just throwing stuff together. This looks like a good one to start with.

Dear are you using an egg in your meatloaf? That is what *binds* the meat together =), try doing that and your meatloaf should be slice-able! Good Luck!

• justj123
    March 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I "pre-fry" in olive oil my celery, onion, and bell pepper before I mix it in with ground turkey and have just started off and on using the mozz. cheese however two weeks ago I mixed in two jalapeno peppers and used the string cheese with jalapeno peppers (we still had to add more peppers -some of us like it real spicy) but the non spicy people just loved it.  Some in my family like the cheese inside it some do not that is why I make it different each time.  But the "key" is to pre fry your vegtables that is what MAKES your meatloaf so good.

• mrswillie
    March 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I put green peppers in mine sometimes

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    March 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

YummyYummy